Window replacement

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
The aluminum frames on my Diamond Seaglaze windows are corroding. One slider frame separated. The front windows have leaks in the corners where the salt corroded through. I've got a Duffy 35' with three aluminum opening windows in the front. I'm assuming they can't be sent back for frame repair and need to be replaced? Are the sizes custom or stocked? should I stick with Diamond SeaGlaze? Lastly, is this a DIY project for a guy with no skills or should I source it out?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I would start with (posting some pics here) a call to them. Been shopping for windows and most of these companies are owned by people who are very easy to talk to and who stand behind what they do.

Sounds like you bought the boat with them?

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Check out Wynne Enterprises. Do a search as many people have good and bad things to say about them. Leaking seems to be an issue if they aren't mounted properly.

Wynne Enterprises Inc.

windows

Just about every aluminum framed window is custom sized. The frames are bent using jigs by hand. Replacing windows is something that you can do. The most difficult task is removing the existing windows with out damaging the surrounding opening. removal depends on what sealant was used. If 5200 was used, it can be very frustrating. A Fein tool with a sharp blade works wonders. Once the windows are removed, You make a cardboard or plywood template of the opening, then decide which manufacturer to use. I have used all the major manufacturers. I found the best for quality and communication as well to sticking to a delivery schedule to be BOMON from Canada

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Just shopped up windows from 4 manufacturers and Wynne was the least expensive. Also slow to respond to emails (like 4-5 days) but thats fine- they are in Alabama.

I spoke to them a couple times though and I must say that I was impressed. I also like their hatch style window better than the Bomon window that shows 3 aluminum blocks for the hinges to bolt to. Just a preference thing because the rest of it looks great.

Wynne suggested butyl tape followed with caulking around the exterior of the frame (he mentioned that most people skip this and have leaks).

Bomon was also very helpful and sent me pics of some windows in their shop as well as some different options. Have heard great things here about them but they were more $ and I didnt like the look. Some plastic hardware too.

Start with a conversation with the original builder tho.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The problem with starting over is to fine a company that makes the same corner radius of your DS windows. I believe the Duffy used a 2.5 radius which many companies to not use. I would call DS & get a price on re framing your old glass. The shipping will kill you but the quality of SD is the best. I am surprise that the window frame failed. Was it from some odd form of electrolysis?
Also the removal & replacement is not a hard job.

Keeper

Lieutenant
I replaced the helm window on my 35 Duffy with a Wynn, good customer service and about a month lead time. The 22 year old frame had corroded, leaked, and needed to be replaced. Was about $500 for the window w shipping to Ma.

mattinri

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Nordhavn 46
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to clarify - the boat I an '88 that I bought last year and I'm sure the windows are original. I don't find any fault with the Diamond Seaglaze windows themselves. If the new ones last 25 years they'll probably outlive me! Question: how do you measure the 2.5" radius? Is it from the inside of the frame out to the point that the radius ends?

Rockasauras

Captain
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just to clarify - the boat I an '88 that I bought last year and I'm sure the windows are original. I don't find any fault with the Diamond Seaglaze windows themselves. If the new ones last 25 years they'll probably outlive me! Question: how do you measure the 2.5" radius? Is it from the inside of the frame out to the point that the radius ends?

"probably outlive you" ...since this is the case and the frames are corroded it means the boat is no longer any good, therefore just give it to me so I can donate it to some old beer drinking friends of mine.....grin.

Good info on this post. I may be in need of a few replacement windows myself some day.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The radius is measured by the cut out in the hardtop. Just get a compass & draw a 2", 2.5" & 3" circle. Next cut the circle out and lay it in the opening. The one that fits is your radius.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
I second the Bomon recommendation. They made custom windows for my 42 Duffy from templates and the fit was exact. Five seasons now and no issues at all.

Top Bottom