Windshield too tall?

wiggy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 23
I'm making a template for my Seaway 23's teak windshield. It'll have a nidacored glass hardtop. My problem is my height. At six foot if I make the windshield any smaller, I'll have to crouch to get under the top. I'll add a slight camber to the top to gain an inch or so but the windshield will still be awfully tall. Looking at the pic, should I keep it this height or chop it down for a better line. The other option would be to raise the cabin, but I'd really like to boat this season.:D
wiggy-albums-seaway-project-picture577-image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tunamojo

Rear Admiral
Lite User
Website
Www.wickedweasel.com
Boat Make
Holland 32

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
form vs function.
i think that you must come to terms with the fact that if you are going to put a windshield or wheelhouse on a small boat its gonna look a little funny. take the sisu 22 for example. the house looks way too tall, but there's not too much you can do. some step the cockpit floor down in the helm area, so the windshield/house can be proportionate. this must really affect the visibility though. i think if you are not comfortable in your boat,you will use it less. that is no good, so make it comfortable!

Last edited:

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
One suggestion (nothing to do with height) but to look good, your windshield angle and the front of your cabin trunk should be the same angle.

How about having a one piece windscreen made from lexan or plexi, I mean wraparound one piece and attach a cambered overhead of black lexan to it, Crazy ??

Brooksie

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bruno-Stillman 35
rrr, Very pretty job.

wiggy, you could eliminate all the beams by laminating it out of several layers of thin ply like 1/8" "doorskins" over a form.

26JC

Lieutenant
Here's a couple photos of the new Wynne windows I just installed.

LaMer1.jpg

Image.jpg

wiggy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 23
Thanks for all the great advice! I think I've got a plan. The windshield height will be tall enough for me to fit under. I'll use 8" wide teak at the top and bottom so that the windows don't appear to be as tall. The hardtop will have a brow that curves down a few inches at the windshield to mask the windshield height too. The angles of the windshield will follow the angles of the cabin trunk. I'll make a a curved teak support on either side of the windshield to support the hardtop. I'll try my hand at mold making for the top, I've wanted to try making a mold for sometime. If I core it with some 1/4" or 1/2" nidacore, I don't think I'll need too much in the way of bracing. If the molding is going well I may put a small electronics box up top for my radio etc. Thanks again for all the great advice!

-Lane (wiggy)

rrr

Lieutenant
if you use 8" teak at the top it will cause more of a problem,when you are standing you won't be able to see under it.i don't think swrinking the glass size is going to solve the hieght issue. really the top board needs to be as wide as the distance from the top of your head to your eyeballs plus 1" .good luck

wiggy

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaway 23
wiggy-albums-seaway-project-picture582-image.jpg

Just about got the size for the windshield worked out. Now I have to decide how far back the hardtop will extend. I want some room on deck to cast. The hardtop will have a brow and I plan on coring it with 1/4 or 1/2" nidacore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom