Winter Head Boats

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Anyone have any experience/input on a good head boat in NE for winter cod/pollack?? Me and a couple buddies were thinking of going on one over our spring break from school (1st week in march) and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations. We were thinking the Helen H in Hyannis that goes to georges but its kinda pricey(broke college kids). Thanks in advance.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
You can try the Island current fleet out of rhode island. They have been doing pretty good off of block and coxes ledge. i think they are about 125 a person, dont quote me on the price please.

Flying Finn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu
The Frances Fleet out of Pt. Judith is running daily, weather permitting, but that's a good ride for you if you are on the Cape.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
The Frances Fleet out of Pt. Judith is running daily, weather permitting, but that's a good ride for you if you are on the Cape.

Only summer/fish/boat outta nauset my family lives in southern nh in the off-season so a drive to RI isnt too bad

Renegade....are those guys outta RI or NY cant really tell

Flying Finn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Sisu
I think Island current is running out of Snug Harbor, across from Pt. Jude. both websites advertise 5am departure, and both are same price, IC is a 12 hr, and FF is 10. I'm getting the itch myself to go.

raindropfx

Lieutenant
. ....I got out on the Frances out of PT Judith a few weeks ago. ..fishing was slow, but the captain put in a hell of an effort for us. The boat we were on had heated hand rails. ....very nice when it's zero out!!! Reports from both boats have been decent lately.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
I think the Island Current boat is a big DMR, built in Maine.

twister

Captain
Boat Make
37 Mitchell cove
I went last week with the FF, we made the same drift all day even thought the bite died after 9 am. I picked 3 cod for the day a couple throw backs and some trash fish. The report for the trip looked a whole lot better than what i saw. But this is typical I made 3 trips last year and it was all the same drill. I always seem to miss the day when the captain decides to get off the open ground cod and make a go at structure. In April I will be out there and find my own cod and be happy that if they are not where I think I will go look.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
You can try the Island current fleet out of rhode island. They have been doing pretty good off of block and coxes ledge. i think they are about 125 a person, dont quote me on the price please.

I'd go with the local guy, Frances Fleet, pt. Jude, family business been there for years, much nicer boat too

Last edited:

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
I went last week with the FF, we made the same drift all day even thought the bite died after 9 am. I picked 3 cod for the day a couple throw backs and some trash fish. The report for the trip looked a whole lot better than what i saw. But this is typical I made 3 trips last year and it was all the same drill. I always seem to miss the day when the captain decides to get off the open ground cod and make a go at structure. In April I will be out there and find my own cod and be happy that if they are not where I think I will go look.

I've been on the FF boats quite a few times for winter cod. It's frustraing when the the bites slow and the Capt decides to stay in one spot. But I have seen the bite turn on at different stages of the tide like that. It does break it up when they move around though and sometimes you hit some fish. There are times when the boat is full they tend to stay on the cleaner bottom so they don't have to deal with tangles as well.

Last edited:

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
Thanks for the input guys. Im thinking Helen h as well..heard great things and ive never been to georges and have always wanted to. I feel like its hard to beat ground fishing on georges in the winter.

Top Bottom