Winterizing diesel in the water

Jonathon

1st Mate
Hi all,
Can winterization of diesels be done in the water without short hauling the boat? The boat will be transported to a new birth and staying in the water - no need to haul it out and put it back in?

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Hi all,
Can winterization of diesels be done in the water without short hauling the boat? The boat will be transported to a new birth and staying in the water - no need to haul it out and put it back in?
yes. I used to close the seacock, open the strainer, start the engine. Poor nontox in the strainer till you see it come out the wet exhaust or deck hose.

Jonathon

1st Mate
yes. I used to close the seacock, open the strainer, start the engine. Poor nontox in the strainer till you see it come out the wet exhaust or deck hose.
Deck hose? The antifreeze will come out the exhaust ( under water out the transom) do you block the exhaust and divert to a deck hose? Just trying to understand.

Jonathon

1st Mate
Not sure about getting for power - but these engines are DD 6V92 ‘s

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Deck hose? The antifreeze will come out the exhaust ( under water out the transom) do you block the exhaust and divert to a deck hose? Just trying to understand.
If you have a dry stack. Most workboats will route the saltwater to a deck hose.

Jonathon

1st Mate
No dry stack wet exhaust through the transom
Is this doable -how would you know when the non tox is exiting if the exhaust tube is under water? That’s what I’m asking . If on the hard - no problem.this will be in the water

Crusty Coastie

Captain
First Name
Pete
Boat Make
38 Holland ''Orion''
Why can't you shut sea cock to your main.Remove the hose that goes to your main from the sea cock.Put a hose adapter to the hose,flush with fresh water till your engine is warmed,put non-tox anti-freeze in a pair of 5 gallon buckets and pull the anti-freeze through your main till it comes out your exhaust?

Luckychahm

Deckhand
First Name
John
Why can't you shut sea cock to your main.Remove the hose that goes to your main from the sea cock.Put a hose adapter to the hose,flush with fresh water till your engine is warmed,put non-tox anti-freeze in a pair of 5 gallon buckets and pull the anti-freeze through your main till it comes out your exhaust?

Yes, do this. We have a manifold set up that you put a short length of garden hose on and suck the AF out of a 5 gallon bucket. My 454 takes 5 gallons, the 550 Cummins we usually feed 10.

LadyMaureen

Admiral
Boat Make
Wesmac
Be careful. Hard to believe but you can push more antifreeze through the dripless shaft tube hose than you think. In some cases if you dont pinch off the dripless hose you might not be evacuating all the water out of your engine block. Make a scoop bucket of some kind to make sure its actually pink antifreeze you are seeing out the exhaust. Or just use regular green (not non-tox) antifreeze so you can see it at the exhaust tube

BKay

Deckhand
I shouldn't give advice since I'm in the mid-Atlantic where winters are very forgiving and most of you are up North where winter is a wicked bitch, but here goes...
Really think through your system and where the water flows before simply pouring notox into the strainer. You may have a run of hose before the strainer that will contain water - enough water to freeze and crack the hose or push it off the seacock. You may also retain some water inside the seacock - look for a drain plug (on my boat its a square headed plug that lets you grease the seacock. When you open that, some water will trickle out).
My first boat had discharge below the waterline and my dad's advice was run through 1 gallon plus a gallon per cylinder and "that should about do it". I also could drain the waterlift muffler after running notox through, it it came out concentrated, then I ran enough through. I never did the same check with the hose feeding my dripless stuffing box - but the principle would be the same. Remove it and see if it has concentrated notox dripping out.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

LadyMaureen

Admiral
Boat Make
Wesmac
Wow, some of you guys are making way more complicated than it needs to be.
Shut the seacock, open up the strainer cap. Remove and clean the strainer. How much nontox (nontoxic antifreeze) have you used in the past? Use the same amount. If this is a new boat to you then I will shoot from the hip and say 6 gallons per engine. If equipped with water lift mufflers make it 10 gallons per engine. Probably a little excessive but you want to be sure. I have never worried about pinching off the dripless feed hose. DO NOT USE GREEN OR ANY OTHER TOXIC COOLANT. USE NON TOXIC COOLANT ONLY!!!
Only a chowder head would discharge toxic coolant overboard into the very oceans we fish in. PM me for any questions.
Well Jerry I sure respect your experience and knowledge but I can tell you first hand that on my Volvo 122p if I dont pinch off the dripless tube i can run a hundred gallons of pink out my shaft tube and still have saltwater in my block. Path of least resistance I suppose.

Firened

Deckhand
I have 6v 92;s Don’t be surprised if it takes 12 gallons per engine.

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

[email protected]

Commodore
Boat Make
26 JC
Well Jerry I sure respect your experience and knowledge but I can tell you first hand that on my Volvo 122p if I dont pinch off the dripless tube i can run a hundred gallons of pink out my shaft tube and still have saltwater in my block. Path of least resistance I suppose.
Why would you have seawater in your block if it's a heat exchanged diesel engine? If you had a salt water cooled gas engine then you would have to drain the block of seawater because the non tox would'nt push through the block because the thermostats are closed. I've never seen a 3/8" shaft seal line divert enough non tox to overcome a diesel raw water intake. How fast are you pouring the non tox into the strainer?
I'm dumping in 2 one gallon jugs at a time and it rolls out the exhaust so fast at idle you can see the pink in the bay water let alone on land.

Last edited:

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

LadyMaureen

Admiral
Boat Make
Wesmac
Why would you have seawater in your block if it's a heat exchanged diesel engine? If you had a salt water cooled gas engine then you would have to drain the block of seawater because the non tox would'nt push through the block because the thermostats are closed. I've never seen a 3/8" shaft seal line divert enough non tox to overcome a diesel raw water intake. How fast are you pouring the non tox into the strainer?
I'm dumping in 2 one gallon jugs at a time and it rolls out the exhaust so fast at idle you can see the pink in the bay water let alone on land.

I am not sure but maybe it has to do with the location on the engine that is selected to feed the shaft tube water hose ( my understanding is there are numerous points in the cooling system to tap into for the shaft tube water supply). Also when the boat is out of the water there is no water pressure resistance at tye cutlass bearing so the shaft tube water supply flows much easier out of the water than in. And finally my engine / exhaust is set up with a lift muffler and I wonder if that doesnt somehow come into play here.

For what its worth I know a number of boats that like me need to pinch off the shaft tube hose when winterizing.

Crusty Coastie

Captain
First Name
Pete
Boat Make
38 Holland ''Orion''
My 3196 is set-up with waterlift ,I'll get the 10 gallons anti-freeze double fisting the jugs at the strainer pretty quickly out the exhaust .Theres a bit of a delay that pink comes out the cutlass but when it does it will trickle out for weeks.

Top Bottom