Winterizing with RV and Marine -50

morgan1727

Commander
I was going to buy the -50 RV and Marine antifreeze to do raw water on engine and water system, and I see they have one that costs about $3 with first ingredient Ethyl Alcohol and one for $5 with the first ingredient propylene glycol. Which one would be better? I'm thinking better to stay away from the alcohol?

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Ronnie I don’t put nontox (nontoxic antifreeze) in any of my boats (Customer boats) F/W tanks. I drain the tank pull the suction hose and draw from my nontox can. Don’t forget to bypass the water heater. Don’t forget the windshield washers if so equipped. Ronnie or anybody for that matter, if you need help, advice, tips, or whatever call, text or, email me. I do 50+ plus boats a year. Not saying I am perfect, but I am pretty damn good at winterizing boats.
I agree. I've put "nontox" in tanks before, it takes a lot of work to clean out the residue in the spring. If you get the majority of the water out, I don't think the remaining frozen water would cause any problems.

I've also heard of vodka, but isn't that the same as the alcohol based "nontox"? Apparently alcohol and rubber/plastic hose parts don't mix well....could be dock talk but I've heard about it.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Charlotte

Lieutenant
On the topic of draining things, what are the thoughts on putting drain valves on water lift mufflers?

Ernie

Commander
Is this ok for water system
Has both alcohol glycol On the label says it lubricants
thanks

C7305DD2-1365-4F1E-A9F7-3B85699AB34A.png

Diesel Jerry

Admiral
Lite User

jackducan07

Ensign
First Name
Jack
If you want to keep winterize RV without antifreeze, you need: drain the water, drain the black and gray holding tanks onto a designated local dump station, repeatedly flush the toilet and open all faucets until water is all drained, makes use of a blowout plug to let compressed air pass through all the water lines for a thorough drain. It’s recommended that you line heat-generating insulation tape on hoses, valves, and water lines – as these are most vulnerable. Your RV needs a little bit of ventilation, vent covers allow your RV to control the air coming in – making sure there’s free airflow. Finally, Upgrade or install insulation will do wonders to keep your RV warm.

Last edited:

Offshore121

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Tyler
Boat Make
31JC

morgan1727

Commander
Funny this thread came up again.
I was talking to a guy about this same subject and he said on his fresh water systems he uses a vacuum and sucks out all water. He does not pump any antifreeze into the stystem. Does anyone do that here?

Ernie

Commander
Cheap vodka and red food coloring
Run that through the domestic water system in the fall no antifreeze smell taste in the spring

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Apparently Alcohol (RV antifreeze and vodka) has some detrimental effects on hoses and plastics. I believe that is why polypropylene glycol is recommended. Will it be fine, probably. ;)

Top Bottom