Winterizing

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
I am going through many of these threads and find that I am talking to myself with questions - my wife is convinced I've lost it.
I see a lot of pics with boats wrapped in plastic or tarps. I assume you guys pull your boats for the winter?
What type of material? 6 mil poly, nylon, or boat shrinkwrap ???????
Do you simply drain the fluids?
..... just curious - it's unusual from my world. This past winter got cold enough here to actually turn off the AC a few times.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Typically just that pink non-toxic anti freeze is pumped through the engine in lieu of raw (sea or salt depending on where you are) water. Water an waste tanks drained and some pink poured in to protect pumps and those kinds of things, shower sumps, gray water sumps, bilges, etc.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Most downeast style boats aren't shrink wrapped, they're built to withstand the elements so they're left to them.

Some go in barns, some are covered and tucked in for the long winter, many however stay in the water and continue to be used.

I put up my side curtains and it's pretty toasty when the sun is out.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I bring my boat home on a trailer, i have a pipe framework covered with tarps and seine webbing covering the boat to keep the snow off, i mix antifreeze good to 60 below zero to run through the saltwater cooled side of the engine and drain everything else. Coldest its been around here was when the needle on the thermometer was laying at the bottom number and that was 50 below zero.

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
locally-made 22' wooden boat with inboard engine
I'm new to boating as well and have also been wondering if I'm doing enough to winterize. My 22 foot open wooden boat is hauled up on a trailer and goes into the back of a former boat factory. This former boat factory is about the size of an airport hanger and is open to the harbor on one end but the boat is far enough from the open end that it doesn't get any weather. Now, I don't drain any fluids (beyond running the engine for a couple of minutes after it comes out of the ocean) but I do put salt into the bottom of the boat as suggested by all of the locals. This will be the fourth winter I've done this and every spring the Yanmar engine starts right up and, after a couple of days, the wooden boat plims up nicely. What else should I be doing?

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Mine stays in all winter. Most winters we fish almost year round, not so much this year lol. I have a block heater and a small electric heater in the engine box. That is usually enough with the vents blocked off. This winter I actually closed the sea cocks as well. In a couple of weeks some new fluids and I will be off again!

Blexter

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay
Tex is wondering about winterizing...

lol you worried about 60 degrees down there?

LOL Lobstercatcher
Not "worried" about 60 deg here but when it gets that cold we all seek professional counseling and take happy pills for an attitude adjustment.
Palm trees are not supposed to drop their leaves in the fall
Cold weather is for you Northerners :D
Hell, my wife is a Yankee ..... (we don't even eat the same food):D
If she sees this post ..... I'm dead!

DBM

Commander
Lite User

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
I'm new to boating as well and have also been wondering if I'm doing enough to winterize. My 22 foot open wooden boat is hauled up on a trailer and goes into the back of a former boat factory. This former boat factory is about the size of an airport hanger and is open to the harbor on one end but the boat is far enough from the open end that it doesn't get any weather. Now, I don't drain any fluids (beyond running the engine for a couple of minutes after it comes out of the ocean) but I do put salt into the bottom of the boat as suggested by all of the locals. This will be the fourth winter I've done this and every spring the Yanmar engine starts right up and, after a couple of days, the wooden boat plims up nicely. What else should I be doing?

You should be running anti freeze through anything that holds water really. All the systems in the boat. Zincs to be changed too. Any of you diesel guys fogging the engine with oil?

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Aint no diesel guy- as you know.

Used to fog my old gas V8's with Marvel mystery oil (as did everyone in the yard). Not just dump it down the carb while its running to be burned for the sake of it. Run the engine on fresh water until it was warm, then switch to a 5 gallon bucket of antifreeze and when that was just about done (filling the shitty raw water exhaust manifolds) you pour a few ounces of oil down the throat and when it blows smoke you pull the wire off the coil. Pickles up nicely. Little smoke in the spring but always starts.

No diesel equivalent?

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
If there is something that you can spray into the air intake to make a diesel smoke like hell let me know. I would love to do this at my yacht club while someone is having a wedding, just so I can be that guy :D

ChipTam

Lieutenant
Boat Make
locally-made 22' wooden boat with inboard engine
Thanks Toolate and others for your suggestions. I don't know how to run antifreeze through the water intake system but I'm sure that I'll find folks in Nfld who can show me how to do it. I thought that by running the engine for a few minutes after it came out of the water I would exhaust the water in the water cooling system but that may not be correct. Also, what do you mean by "zincs to be changed too". Sorry I'm such a novice. I may have just been lucky that everything seemed to work come June. Thanks again for your input.

ChipTam

robbie

Commander
Thanks Toolate and others for your suggestions. I don't know how to run antifreeze through the water intake system but I'm sure that I'll find folks in Nfld who can show me how to do it. I thought that by running the engine for a few minutes after it came out of the water I would exhaust the water in the water cooling system but that may not be correct. Also, what do you mean by "zincs to be changed too". Sorry I'm such a novice. I may have just been lucky that everything seemed to work come June. Thanks again for your input.

ChipTam

There's quite a few good vids you can check out, it gives you a fair idea of what you need to do.

Winterizing Perkins 4.108 Diesel - YouTube

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman

ChipTam

chip - running the motor after the boat is hauled will only shorten the life of your water pump impellar. Not a good idea, and not recommended. You need to have either a water source like a hose, or a bucket full of non tox anti-freeze. Never run it while dry.

Top Bottom