Wolverine heater on a low set engine?

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
My 1 year old Cummins supplied block heater shit the bed last week. Exchanges with Tony Athens have convinced me not to replace it as its design is inherently faulty and unsafe.

I like warm engines and a dry engine room and in previous boats used Wolverine oil pan heaters affixed to the bottom of the oil pan to gently warm the engine and keep the engine room dry.

When we looked at it last year we didn't see an easy way to get under a low set QSM, sand the paint off the oil pan and then be able to correctly stick the Wolverine onto the pan.

Anyone have a clever solution how to install a 5" by 7" sticky pad on the bottom of an engine with only a few inches clearance between the engine and the hull?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
My 1 year old Cummins supplied block heater shit the bed last week. Exchanges with Tony Athens have convinced me not to replace it as its design is inherently faulty and unsafe.

I like warm engines and a dry engine room and in previous boats used Wolverine oil pan heaters affixed to the bottom of the oil pan to gently warm the engine and keep the engine room dry.

When we looked at it last year we didn't see an easy way to get under a low set QSM, sand the paint off the oil pan and then be able to correctly stick the Wolverine onto the pan.

Anyone have a clever solution how to install a 5" by 7" sticky pad on the bottom of an engine with only a few inches clearance between the engine and the hull?

Backman,

Curious ??

I had Tony and his crew @ Seaboard Marine setup my 6BTA 370s before he shipped the pr. out to me. One of the many upgrades/tweaks was the addition of a 250W block heater. Both have worked flawlessly 24/7/365 for the past 5 years. No issues and risk of fire.

Engines stay "armpit" warm

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Not a diesel guy but doesnt someone make a dipstick or drain plug heater that would get you out of that situation?

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
we use the kim hotstart heaters on all of our generators at work, they work good.
But my initial idea was to hire a team of "little people", they fit well into tight spaces.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
They do not have to be on the bottom of the pan. I have two on the sides of my pans for the same reason - couldn't easily get them on the bottom. You just end up using skinny models of the wolverine.

Besides easy starting, biggest thing they help with is keeping the rust down on the engines. Since the engines are warm they don't sweat condensation when the humidity is up.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
You "could" make up a small bungee cord "net" to hold the pad to the pan and attach say 6 SS rings to the QSM.

You may have to find 6 bolts or attachment points 3 each on each side of the engine.

On 2nd thought, cancel my idea. You wouldn't want to have a bungee break and get wrapped around anything "spinning" :(

delucat2

Lieutenant
I had no interest in getting stuck upside down in my engine compartment, so I just stuck it to the side of the exhaust manifold. Keeping the oil warm in SoCal is not a big deal. You'll get most of the benefits with it higher on the engine, but maybe not all. Such is life.

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
From Nov on till april I keep a ceramic space heater in the bilge and seems to be doing the job very well for the lat 9 yrs. Never any condensation and the engine even on the really chilly mornings never hesitates to fire rite up.

Again easy cheap and practical!!! if it breaks or fails, I just replace it.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
So I have a 2000$ QSM block heater install that failed after 6 months. Tony Athens (and others) have said - its both unrelaiable and unsafe due to the high wattage - lick your wounds and get a Wolverine.

Tony also said the same as some of you - get 2 250 watt wolverines as low as you can on a flat surface and it will be good enough.

Is a ceramic heater really safe in a wet marine environment?

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
Ceramic is SUPPOSE to be the safest. Like i said in 9 winters of in water storage i have yet to have an issue. I plan on doing the same again this winter.

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
So I have a 2000$ QSM block heater install that failed after 6 months. Tony Athens (and others) have said - its both unrelaiable and unsafe due to the high wattage - lick your wounds and get a Wolverine.

Tony also said the same as some of you - get 2 250 watt wolverines as low as you can on a flat surface and it will be good enough.

Is a ceramic heater really safe in a wet marine environment?[/QUOTE
Not much vertical space on that oil pan. You going to pull the motor to install a wolverine heater?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
no way; but I am going to take a crawl down there this weekend and see if I can find a flat surface to mount them on. There may be access on the aft end of the engine.

I should not have listened to my marina last year and should have followed my instincts when all the coolers were off....

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make

Is a ceramic heater really safe in a wet marine environment?

I checked with Tony on this. He had Wolverine make a heater pad (#18 on Seaboard Heater Product List) specific to the Cummins oil pan.

He suggested to use 2 x 250W #18 heaters on each side of the pan.
Access problem solved and in the spring / summer you can plug in just one pad and save on electricity.

Wolverine Oil Pan Heaters for Cummins Marine Diesel Engines

FWIW, Bill D

greg

Captain
You guys run these year round? I was thinking you only run them in the winter months (for those of you who overwinter in the water)?

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
on my old boat I ran them from launch in March till water temp was over 70 in JUne and turned them back on again in mid Sept till the end. 7 X 24. Nice happy dry, warm engines as a result; nice dry engine room also.

greg

Captain
on my old boat I ran them from launch in March till water temp was over 70 in JUne and turned them back on again in mid Sept till the end. 7 X 24. Nice happy dry, warm engines as a result; nice dry engine room also.

I have a wet shaft, so I always have water in my keel. Drip.. Drip...

Only thing a heater will do is make it more humid.......

Top Bottom