Wood Strengths Table

Radium226Please

Deckhand
So I like the numbers provided for sassafras wood and interestingly enough the New England based Rex Lumber's website mentions sassafras as a shipbuilding material. Their site states that they have none in stock so can anyone here think of a yard in New England that has or may have it?

Something sort of funny is there is a farm less than mile from my home named "Sassafras Farm". Unfortunately they are not a lumber yard.

Thanks for your help.

Cool Boat

Commodore
So I like the numbers provided for sassafras wood and interestingly enough the New England based Rex Lumber's website mentions sassafras as a shipbuilding material. Their site states that they have none in stock so can anyone here think of a yard in New England that has or may have it?

Something sort of funny is there is a farm less than mile from my home named "Sassafras Farm". Unfortunately they are not a lumber yard.

Thanks for your help.
I used sassafras for the spreaders on my Herreshoff Rozinante a few years ago. The originals may have been spruce and had some rot in them. I also replaced the step-end of the mizzen mast with some. We band saw mill our own lumber for projects. We might have a little bit left, how much are you looking for? The Gordy commercial mill near Bridgeville DE had some big planks of it too at one time. It is fairly rot proof. We buy logs from a local tree service sometimes too but what comes in is random. We did get a few small logs of black locust last year. Very durable and pretty. Ironically he comes up with nice walnut at times. Unless it's been scooped up there is another nearby mill that had over 10,000 board feet of cypress on hand.

Top Bottom