Wooden Downeast Boats

John Riddle

Lieutenant
Website
www.riddleboatworks.net
I've long admired downeast boats since my friend had a Spencer Lincoln design built back in the 80's, but we don't see many of those here on Lake Erie! I'm planning to move my shop to the Chesapeake soon and planning eventually build a 36' DE for myself, laid out as a weekender, similar to the Vera Lee recently completed by Jarvis Newman. It'll be a wood boat (wood-epoxy) because I like the aesthetics of a wood boat and the way it sounds and feels underfoot.

I'm wondering if others feel that way too? It surprises me there aren't more wood DE boats built, particularly of the recreational variety, and I wonder if that's due to misperceptions brought on by the bad press wood often gets.

What do you think?

joman

Lieutenant
I agree with you,I think that well built wooden boats are beautiful ,just check out the boats that Peter kass has built. A good book to add to your library is Royal Lowell `s '' Boatbuilding Down East''

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
I think that alot of people think that wood is high maintainance,so they shy away.I had a wood boat for 14 years and have had a glass for the last ten,and I wouldnt mind going back to wood,but building a new boat is not in the cards.The way Peter builds his boats they are low maintainance,with only the hull that needs painting.

DBM

Commander
What kind of shop and where on the Chesapeake?

We keep our boat in annapolis and spend summers over on the eastern shore.

Good luck with your move.

DBM

John Riddle

Lieutenant
Website
www.riddleboatworks.net
DBM:

Thanks for asking. I've run a wood boat shop on Lake Erie for 28 years but have always wanted to be on the coast. With kids soon out of college, now's the time. The new shop will focus on new (wood) construction of any style and design with capabilities in both traditional and wood-epoxy construction techniques. No doubt, our repair and restoration capabilities will also come into play.

I'm not sure exactly where we'll end up. We're exploring that now and as a matter of fact, we'll be in Annapolis for a few days starting tomorrow. We'll be making some contacts and looking at some of the areas we think we'd like to go. If things go well, we'll come away with some possible shop and home locations.

Any suggestions on either count are welcome!

DBM

Commander
John,

Just checked out your website and you do some beautiful work.

I can't really recommend any specific areas over any others since I don't really know what you are looking for. I can tell you that from a customer standpoint, Annapolis is a great central location. It's situated close to both Baltimore and Washington and is a small urban center in it's own right. This would provide a bigger customer base, but also more competition and more urban problems (traffic being the big one).

I'm familiar with the boatbuilders of maryland, I talked to a good chunk of them when we were having our boat built, and I'm familiar with a number of areas on the bay.

I'd be more than happy to chat with you if your looking for more info, just send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a calll.

Good luck.

DBM

We are currently restoring a 1973- 45' wooden lobsterboat. The hull was properly built using mahogany planking, White Oak framing, fastened with monel and bronze and Red Lead was used throughout. The hull is in great condition. This boat is being converted into a Lobsteryacht and will be finishing out it's life as M/V Twist sailing the Medeterrean and homeported in Croatia. You might want to check out a 32' Carroll Lowell design lobsterboat that is under construction in John Karbott's shop (www.karbottboatbuilding.com). It is a real beauty.

John. I would to happy to discuss Wooden Downeast boats with you. You can reach me on my shop phone (781) 248-6446. Thanks Bob Fuller

GoodChance

Lieutenant Commander
There is a very nice, older and well established working and pleasure marina on the lower Eastern Shore that may have a position available for a skilled worker. It is located in Deal Island MD.

DBM

Commander
John,

it's been a crazy week, I'll give you a call tommorrow. I'm not an expert, but I can at least share my thoughts.

DBM

Top Bottom