working current

Cdux

Commander
Oh don’t forget: “how deep you sitting?”

1st guy I fished with was very picky about depth, if we swung too far to either side of 180-190 he’d get all flustered and be ready to reset the hook no matter how close we were to slack water. Yet we had caught them as shallow as 90’ and as deep 370’. But again comes down to confidence, he was comfortable fishing at certain depth and that was that.

Last edited:

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I like to ask the same questions followed by how they count the depth, ie we count from the weight so always express the "depth" about 50 feet off from where the bait actually tends to end up - the magical depth of "45 feet" we might be talking about on one boat is actually closer to "90 feet" on another... Some other boat watches the sonar to determine depth. Some other boat expresses everything in fathoms to make it confusing. Then of course you gotta know "and what color balloon?" :)
The way to fix that so everyone is on the same page is to do everything in pulls. Your wing span is 6 feet. Let out line using your wing span and count the number of pulls. The bite was at "10 Pulls" for example. Whenever i see someone doing a half ass pull i ask them to start over. I want the line going across their chest on every pull and extending out their arms. By my second drift my main line/ top shot is marked with elastics from doing the pulls that are used as a balloon stop so we dont have to count all day.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I hav
Oh don’t forget: “how deep you sitting?”

1st guy I fished with was very picky about depth, if we swung too far to either side of 180-190 he’d get all flustered and be ready to reset the hook no matter how close we were to slack water. Yet we had caught them as shallow as 90’ and as deep 370’. But again comes down to confidence, he was comfortable fishing at certain depth and that was that.
I have fished with guy that had to see a shooting star on the ride out or we are skunked . Guys that toss quarters in the water and say a prayer. Whatever works to give you confidence i guess.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I like to ask the same questions followed by how they count the depth, ie we count from the weight so always express the "depth" about 50 feet off from where the bait actually tends to end up - the magical depth of "45 feet" we might be talking about on one boat is actually closer to "90 feet" on another... Some other boat watches the sonar to determine depth. Some other boat expresses everything in fathoms to make it confusing. Then of course you gotta know "and what color balloon?" :)
You dont look like a pink balloon kind of fella.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made
Last edited:

leaky

Admiral
You dont look like a pink balloon kind of fella.

Haha no, not on the pink team. Actually I like white balloons - not that I think it makes a whole lot of difference but especially on the floater, seems like a fairly natural color.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Duke

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Dyer 29

Cdux

Commander
Don't forget to paint your anchor black so you don't scare the fish when you drop it.
Maybe a little off topic, anyone else seem to mark while hauling the anchor?

I don’t mean ironically like we should stuck it out 15 minutes more but legitimately having fish under the boat up on the flat or out in the deep after pulling it.

I’d say 3-4 out of 5 times doing the poly ball routine, I’ll mark during the lifting or retrieving the rig on the surface. They are just fly byes and don’t come back around. Guess I’ve always figured the commotion draws them in, like a trawler haul back or green stick drogue.

Last edited:

Scalloper

Lieutenant
No matter what fish we are chasing the "slack tide" will almost always give us a edge or give our baits a better presentation. Growing up in the Bay of Fundy and commercial fishing for 33+ years, no matter what we are fishing for be it scallops with a 10' dredge or a salmon fly in a swift river, using the current (or lack of) to adjust our presentation is one of the most important things we as fishermen can learn. If we are fishing codfish with a jig in 200' of water in the Grandmanan Channel our jigs will tend better (better presentation) during the slack tide (or slack current). The thing is the slack tide most times has nothing to do with the tide chart and currents. I would guess 80% of the areas East of Jonesport to the Head of the Bay of Fundy have slack currents up to 2 hrs different then what the tide chart reads.
Slack current most times allows feed (could be plankton or herring) to be more easily caught by pray. The feed will come off bottom and mill around using the least amount on energy. Think about fly fishing in a river. We target the eddies, lower current areas. This gives us a far better presentation and normally concentrates fish and feed because they can feed with less energy used. When we fish bluefin with bait on Georges or in the Channel off of Chatham we normally drift because we are trying to improve our presentation to allow the baits to swim more natural. As someone else mentioned, it can take years and years to figure out the collation between tides and currents in different areas. The most successful lobstermen learn this early. This allows the buoy to show in high current areas and avoid tangles with others when resetting.
Tide, current and presentation and how to use them all to our advantage is the key to successfully fishing anything.

Last edited:

Crusty Coastie

Lieutenant Commander
Hour before and an hour after the tide are most productive for me. Always have been. Usually bite on the middle bait or down road. The floater is maybe 10% of bites.
x2,down line with a herring at 60ft has done the trick most times for me.

Top Bottom