WTB 30 Repco project hull

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Hi all... I signed up a few months ago and have just been lurking but really enjoy this forum... Especially the mermaids of the day section!

I'm looking for a project downeaster/lobster style hull. I think I've narrowed it down to the 30 Repco unless something amazing pops up out of the blue. I like the old school look and I really don't need a wide hull so the Repco fits the bill. The boat will be used in the Bahamas year round.

I'm not new to the downeast boats and I know it might not be the most desirable hull out there these days. My dad has a 42 bruno and it is a total beast, I just don't need one that big. The plan is to keep it in a slip over in the Abacos.

If anyone knows of anything out there I would definitely be grateful if you guys can help out with the search and post up any potential leads on this thread. I've searched CL, National Fisherman, Boats and Harbors, etc... and haven't come up with much other than some of the older wood hulls in my price range. Wood is good but I'm looking to go solid glass on this hull.

Thanks fellas!

Last edited:

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Oh and another thing... Planning on painting her hull red with a dark blue bottom and matterhorn topsides. I can already picture her with that badass color scheme running in those crystal clear bahama waters!!! Let's find one for me to dump all my savings into!!!

What do you think she will do with a yanmar 170? I figured 14-16kt cruise and 20ish WOT with good economy to combat that 6+ dollar a gallon diesel out in the islands. Maybe 2 50 gallon saddle tanks. Am I over shooting the projected numbers? Definitely gonna add some full length rails to her and possibly... dare I say it... some small tabs for when bank gets uppity... Pops thinks I'm crazy. But his ride weighs like 30,000 lbs at least and is built down. The thing doesn't bat an eye at a chop on the bank. Just plows through it at 12kts like it's nothing.

I ain't rich... so let's try not to find any repcos that are through the roof in price. I'm a charter boat captain by day but my wife and I are frugal... Not as frugal as blowboaters... LOL. But we have saved enough to put into a great yearly vacation plan and instead of blowing it at resorts we decided a nice little, efficient overnighter boat kept in the islands would be a good idea. And with a solid connection to a cheap slip in the islands. I gotta capitalize on this!

I will be doing all the work myself with help from the brothers and dad... and wife when she's feelin froggy.

Last edited:

sevenjohn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
novi
there was a 30 repco hull down the cape (cod) ...the guy was asking 4500...it was on craigs list ...do not know if it is still available.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
My old Repco with a 120 Ford in it did 9kt cruise and maybe 12kt WOT, I would think the 170 may get you to 16-18kts WOT.

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Thanks for the numbers Blitzen. I do appreciate it. It's all speculation til she's running on her own bottom so we will see what happens of course. I'd be fine with whatever speed she yields. I figured it would fit well in the repco. Actually a 14 kt cruise would be more than sufficient for me. I have a very comfortable helm chair that I've been hanging onto for a while:D. My garage is full of parts and boat crap that I've been collecting while waiting to pull the trigger on the right hull. Had to save up some duckets but I'm there now.

Last edited:

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
Checkout the commercial boats section of unclehenrys.com, there is a couple of them listed there, they pop up fairly regularly there it's a good place to keep an eye on.

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
You guys are awesome! Uncle Henrys has some nice ones on there that are actually running and 2 with diesels already for under 10-15K. I was trying to find a bare hull in the dirt cheap zone but I think I am gonna call on 2 of these boats this weekend. I will let you guys know the outcome. Anyone have a line on a reliable/reasonable shipper/transporter from up there?

Also... I really want the repco b/c of the long narrow hull that's easy to push but I have come across 2 other boats in my area and figured you guys would know the deal on them.

One is a 28 Terry Jason with a 350 gasser and the other is a Cape Dory 28 with a 350 gasser. Both popped up in a CL search just north of me. I think the C-Dory is pretty wide so I'd guess it would take alot more to push than the Repco. Is that about right? And the T Jason looks nice with no engine box but definitely isn't as pretty as the repco. Both are in the 20K range but have gas power and to me that is like no engine at all b/c I'm not planning on keeping that power and the gas engines don't sell for much solo. How do these 2 boats compare to the Repco?

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Anyone have a round about idea of the headroom at the centerline in the trunk cabin of the 30 Repco?

Last edited:

Newport Style

Lieutenant
I reworked a 1979 repco. Sold it in mar 13. Powered by a Cummins 4bt 150 hp, 18x22 4 blade, cruised 11.5-12kts. Ridiculous fuel saver, easy hull to push. Good luck

boat 1.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
When you rebuilt the boat did you move the engine aft? My engine was forward of the steering bulkhead. Old school lobster boat style with no engine box.

I reworked a 1979 repco. Sold it in mar 13. Powered by a Cummins 4bt 150 hp, 18x22 4 blade, cruised 11.5-12kts. Ridiculous fuel saver, easy hull to push. Good luck

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Nice rig newport! I can't wait to find a hull. I thought I had one but the dude never got back to me after he emailed me and sent me a PM from this site. Hopefully he has a chance to get back but who knows.

At this point I'm looking to drop in a 170 yanmar but I have a lead on a 230 4LH Yanmar that needs a rebuild so we'll see if that's worth a damn. If it is then I'm gonna grab it up and build it in the garage while we are putting the repco together.

DIRTY RIGGERS

Lieutenant
Steve I emailed him but haven't heard back yet. Alot of the boats that I've run across so far have been very hard to get any sort of communication from the owners other than the typical response that it is still for sale. It's crazy! These boats are listed for sale but you can't get them to send a few pics or a little info on the boat or anything. I'm pretty clear on what I need done and have been up front that I will need the boat trucked down. Time isn't even an issue. I may need to take a trip up there for a few days and track one down. Probably would save me a ton of time and heartburn from having to extract little bits of info in every email. Hell I might even just buy the damn 28 T Jason that is already down in my area. It has a gasser in it but who cares at this point... lol. Crazyness!!!

Newport what rpm was the 4bt running at to give a 11-12kt cruise? What did she do when you spun the 4bt up to 2800 speedwise? Also, your trunk cabin looks higher than some of the other recpos I've run across. How much head room did you have in there? Also, how was she in a beam sea? I've been hearing these things have a mean snaproll to them. How was your experience? I'd guess that if the house was kept light and weight kept down low that they would be a little better. A plywood house can get kinda heavy pretty quick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom