Wtb 36 or 38nb, 37 Duffy, Calvin beal. Ect.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
I have looked At so many boats that aren't what they claim to be, Compounded by bad luck and or timing I am still looking for the right boat. Either it's the right boat and poor power or the right power and poor boat. My search is between 36 and 42 feet DE. Not really looking to go 12 knots as I am not commercial. Anything Over 18knots would be great. A boat built in the 2000's and 400 plus gallons of fuel. A pot hauler and second station in cockpit would be a plus along with a generator. I am not interested in converting a lobster boat or anything with an engine box. Not interested in a split wheel house or anything with Detroit's or 3000 plus hours. I Know I am asking allot but trying not to waste everyone's time. A 35 Duffy is too small and a 45 dixson to go these speeds i want is probably out of my budget. I have basically seen anything on the internet. Looking for some one who knows of one that isn't online yet and that wants to get hooked up direct with a buyer. Please send me a pm if you have any leads. Like I Said I have pounded the internet. I will say the ocean runners 36 has not returned calls or email that's posted on this sight. Not sure what's up with that boat. I have had deals out there on a few boats but for some reason this go around I am being challenged greatly from every different angle. I am not looking for a project or anything beat to Sh#t. I am located on eastern Long Island. I thank everyone for the help and advice to get my search to this point. My budget is around 200 for the right setup I might be able to do more.
Paul,

Prdlobster

Commander
Did you check out oceanoutfitters 40 Willis Beal in the classifieds section on here? Looks like an awesome rig.

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
I have looked At so many boats that aren't what they claim to be, Compounded by bad luck and or timing I am still looking for the right boat. Either it's the right boat and poor power or the right power and poor boat. My search is between 36 and 42 feet DE. Not really looking to go 12 knots as I am not commercial. Anything Over 18knots would be great. A boat built in the 2000's and 400 plus gallons of fuel. A pot hauler and second station in cockpit would be a plus along with a generator. I am not interested in converting a lobster boat or anything with an engine box. Not interested in a split wheel house or anything with Detroit's or 3000 plus hours. I Know I am asking allot but trying not to waste everyone's time. A 35 Duffy is too small and a 45 dixson to go these speeds i want is probably out of my budget. I have basically seen anything on the internet. Looking for some one who knows of one that isn't online yet and that wants to get hooked up direct with a buyer. Please send me a pm if you have any leads. Like I Said I have pounded the internet. I will say the ocean runners 36 has not returned calls or email that's posted on this sight. Not sure what's up with that boat. I have had deals out there on a few boats but for some reason this go around I am being challenged greatly from every different angle. I am not looking for a project or anything beat to Sh#t. I am located on eastern Long Island. I thank everyone for the help and advice to get my search to this point. My budget is around 200 for the right setup I might be able to do more.
Paul,

No split wheelhouse?? I would reconsider if you are GBF fishing...gives you extra room to spread the rods out, and is a pretty decent place to fight the fish if necessary... :)

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
tuna fan i see ur point, but a 10 foot cockpit is enough room for what we are going to do. we do allot more canyon fishing than giant fishing with long runs. I think it’s crazy to have a 40 foot boat and all of the crew not be able to fit up in the galley. We usually go with anywhere from 4 to 6 guys. the spit wheel house's at least the ones I looked at in the high 30's, were every tight with anything over 4 guys. I guess on a big boat it wouldn't matter as much but boats i looked at 37 and 38ft. it was too tight.

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
gotcha - just didn't want you to overlook something :)

I bought a lobster boat to tuna fish with when i was 20 and knew nothing about tuna fishing...i then proceeded to take OFF the hauler...lucky for me, there was a guy on the dock that took pitty on me and said "hey buddy...you might need that for your anchor and/or bait net"....i put it back on before anyone else saw... ;)

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
thanks, Tuna. yeah it's nice to have for a ton of different uses. just crazy to buy a boat in the high 30's and not have a decent galley for everyone to spend a 4 or 5 hour ride in.

Fechmup

Lieutenant
Boat Make
32' Harker's Island / Deere 6076
Call me when you get the replacement phone for the one you threw a fastball with.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Paul,

Sorry if this was already addressed but your requirements seem to be misleading. If 18kts is OK would 20mph work? If you are talking 18kts and 400 gallons of fuel and the boat is burning 25 /30 gph opposed to a boat that is burning 40gph your range could be completely different. You really might be looking for 1200 gallons in some boats. Do you really have a range in mind rather than 400 gallons of fuel? There is also usable gallons . What if you can't even use 25% of the fuel in your tank? Also, what do you call a project? Is installation of a generator a project?

Last edited:

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
I consider building an enclosed wheel house, an enclosed head, some sleeping space down below and benches and seats up top for crew besides folding chairs, a projects. 18 to 20 knots is what I would like to do. Most boats I have looked at between 36 and 40 feet can do that around 18 to 22 gallons per hour. if a boat was getting those speeds and burning 40 it better be some big bad ass bitch like a Dixon. If burning 20 gallons an hour is accurate 400 should be plenty for me. burn 100 out and 100 in. have 150 or 125 for trolling and genny. what I am basically saying is iam not interested in lobster boats that have 200 or 150 gallons of fuel. I don't feel like pulling up decks, adding fuel or anything of those shorts. no genny is also a big project in my eyes. I have something on the radar that fits the bill. We will see if it will get done. thanks.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Once you get all those ad ons in a lobster boat, the cost is probably the same as any pleasure boat. Maybe you can find the old style construction methods that everyone is getting away from in the early 2000s years. Those could have a price range you are looking for. After all, a basic lobster boat without any of that stuff you are looking for is now probably well over $325k by the time delivery comes. Maybe your searching is coming up empty for a reason. I'm sure someone desperate to sell for health reasons or devoice etc will pop up. Those type people are easy to take advantage of. good luck

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
thanks for your input lobster, i know what i want and will find the right boat, i am picky and have passed on plenty of boats that are maybe right for someone else but not me. I can tell you since this post 1 day ago i have gotten 4 private messages of boats that all fit what I am looking for. I can also assure you i am not taking advantage of anyone. I have been tuna fishing for the last 30 years and I know what am looking for. thanks for your advice. :)

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Sorry. I didn't mean to have it sound as you solely would be taking advantage of a desperate person. Anyone looking to can when they are in that state.

Surfishingboy

Commander
a 38 Northern Bay is the boat you're looking for just have to find one! that new one for 260k looks really nice.

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Surfboy, I agree. After spending over a year on this forum, and checking out all the boats that have come along for sale, that boat is the one! That thing is huge! Plus a guy can finish it any way he wants. I love that boat.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
Looking into a bunch of private messages and looking forward to seeing what happens. I know everything looks a allot better till u see it. 99% of the time.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
Surfishin boy and teaser head were right on. Bigho that's the boat after long negotiations I was able to get, 38 northern bay. Got allot of work ahead of me but looking forward to it. I thank everyone for the help.

Last edited:

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Hunthard, congrats as well. Thanks for buying that fine vessel, now I can stop dreaming about selling the farm! Bump on more pics please.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom