WTB Child Immersion Suit

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Website
www.fishreaction.com
Boat Make
RP35
I went to buy one and people talked me out of it. I may have tried to get one for my daughter who was to young at 3. All of them are more for 12+ year olds.

My idea was this though, what do people do who sail around the world with young children for safety? Sort of funny because I do not think it is addressed much. I just wanted one for my 3 year old daughter at the time as even though I have a raft you are still exposed to the weather. They said in that situation just get a TPA (thermal protective aid)

I'd be curious what other people have done in this situation.

Mind you, because of what I do for a living, I keep everything to the max, including safety. At some point your back will be against the wall and everything comes in handy there!

mfrench808

Lieutenant Commander
Hamilton

I bought one relatively cheap at Hamilton Marine for under $300 for my daughter. If its a kid's life, not sure I want one that is used and possibly could fail.

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
40' H and H, 31 JC and 25' Carolina Skiff
i've got an adult small (< 68", 110-250lbs) if you're interested. Too big?
That's too big. He's 70 lbs. just need one for a few years until he grows. Lol. I might just have to buy new since no one seems to have one.

MFrench
These suits don't go bad. As long as the zippers are greased and there aren't any tears they are good to go. Most suits are never worn.

offshore31

Captain
I went through the same thing with my son. Got it when he was around 80lbs because I couldn't find one smaller. Didn't take too long to fill this one out, and now he doesn't fit! Good luck in your search, but he'll be into an adult suit before you know it.

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
CG dockside inspector condemned 2 of my suits
because they were more than 20 years old. They
looked new still,but when he pulled on the seams
they pulled apart. You can find the date of manufacture
inside on the back just below the hood. Better safe than
sorry.

Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
who would think that these suits would go bad....but i wouldn't buy a used after hearing that

mfrench808

Lieutenant Commander
Used -

I carry 4 survival suits on my boat, one being a child. I have an adult survival suit that is close to 20 years old and you can see that the glue at the seams has deteriorated over the years. I don't carry that one on the boat and probably will thow it out this weekend. A used rod or reel, a used boat - yes, but not survival gear if you can avoid it. Everyone has a budget but don't skimp on this item. Just my thoughts.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Age of the suit is one thing but how the suit is taken care of during the years is something else. The suits should be taken out their bags every 6 months and hung up for 48 hours. How many people do that? How many people have had their suits out of the bags in the last 5-10 years?

When the boat comes out of the water all our suits get hung up till the boat goes back into the water.

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
Frigate.

You are right. All our suits are taken off the boat and hung up in my basement. Also the zippers need to be greased. We also place Fresh plastic bags in the hoods so putiing them on in an emergency is easier.

I think I have to buy new since they are hard to come by. My son is 85lbs now So all I need is a year or two and then he will grow into an adult small.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
Whatta Catch,

Yes, I forgot to mention using bee's wax on the zippers and replacing the lithium batteries in the stobes in the suit pockets.

What kind of "Fresh plastic bags" are you using? We use a hard plastic bag 12 1/4" x 20 1/4". It is placed in the legs with the tops even with the bottom of the zipper. Drop the suit out the bag and sit on the suit and put your feet go into the bags and straight down the legs.

Whatta Catch

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.whattacatch.com
Boat Make
Frigate

We probably are using the same type of bags. They are the same heavy duty ones you get a bag of sinkers in. God forbid you have to put one on, the heavy bags will make it easier since thin supermarket bags rip easy.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
R/V First Team

"I have a ban on my boat, no children under 5". . . That is why you have a Lab on the boat. They retrieve things.

"Not quite sure what one would do with a 3 year old on board"...Bait

If there is a real young one on board then you have this:

p0rrwpk9mx.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom