WTB chum chopper

capt.dan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Topaz
Hi, I'm looking for a chum chopper, they were built a few years ago here in new england. It's made out of aluminum and has a hand crank on one side and 4 blades inside, cuts the bait up into 2-3inch pieces. Does anyone know of one forsale? thanks

maineguides

Lieutenant Commander
If you find a source let me know. IVe spent countless hrs searching for one and have one up empty handed

mudhake

Captain
Call Donnie atMerrimack bait and tackle. Merrimack, ma. He has perfected one and has them for sale.

capt.dan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Topaz
Funny I thought of Donnie today but never got the chance to call him. The last one I had I paid $75 for and then someone was nice enough to steal it off my boat this past oct.!!!!:mad:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
A couple years ago I tried buying the one out of SWS or SF, looks much like the link above. I called and said it would be a little while to deliver, never got my card charged but never got one either. Seems like they were a little ahead of producition, well alteast ahead of even producing it.

Perhaps its time to find it out again... Although a harbor frieght saw does numbers ona flat at the dock in seconds. That is why I got pissed when they started wrapping each layer in those flats of "butterfish" from south america or whatever they were...

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
The bait cutter that they have on the Christina is nice, I remember seeing it when Greg had it on his old boat "Chester". Not sure what its called though, I think that he made it at his shop at the time.

googinhater

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 yb. f/v wildlife
The bait cutter that they have on the Christina is nice, I remember seeing it when Greg had it on his old boat "Chester". Not sure what its called though, I think that he made it at his shop at the time.
That's what I have works great don't know the name

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
A couple years ago I tried buying the one out of SWS or SF, looks much like the link above. I called and said it would be a little while to deliver, never got my card charged but never got one either. Seems like they were a little ahead of producition, well alteast ahead of even producing it.

Perhaps its time to find it out again... Although a harbor frieght saw does numbers ona flat at the dock in seconds. That is why I got pissed when they started wrapping each layer in those flats of "butterfish" from south america or whatever they were...

The guy that is making the one in the link is a different co. He bought the buisness from the last guy that couldn't keep up. Mine went without blades for 2 years, this guy seems like he's on the ball had my blades in two days. Great tool but dangerous as hell if you have the wrong people operating it. The feeding guy never moves an out of place fish or he'll have 5 pieces of all fingers.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I was on Bill Browns gillnetter in Gloucester a couple of years ago and he had made a bait cutter with 4 or 5 spaced skillsaw blades on a shaft and coupled to a hydraulic motor enclosed in a open top aluminum box. I bet that made quick work out of anything that was thrown in there !! Might work with a hand crank attached to the shaft ???

Last edited:

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Two things.

1. Ever notice that Pinwheel uses more what I would call CHUM than chunks...
2. A charter I once had brought their own automatic chunker you see in the back of some magazines, that was pretty neat for sure... damn anyone have the link for that? You throw the chunks in there and off it goes. These guys were bluefin/bass guys from up north basically who wanted to get down to the canyons...

Tuna Pursuit

Rear Admiral
Website
www.oliverwelding.com
Boat Make
Thunnus
I made one last year and it worked really well but the blades spun on the shaft on whiting & mud hake so I'm doing rev 2 right now. The probalem is liability. I don't know if i can sell them without major law suit exposure. And this one would be expensive. I'll post a drawing when I get to the office.

Top Bottom