WTB Twin Disc 507A 2:1 gear.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Big money gear & very hard to fine. If it is for you JC repower I would go with a ZF 220A gear. ½ the weight, price & plenty around to buy.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Even though the 507 is coaxial. The 220 ZF is much smaller is size which will allow you to drop it much lower into the keel area.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
While a 220 ZF might go lower into the keel, I'm thinking he wants to meet the coupling where it is and not reconfigure the shaft angle.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
While a 220 ZF might go lower into the keel, I'm thinking he wants to meet the coupling where it is and not reconfigure the shaft angle.

Why not just cut the tube out and lower it??:eek: LOL

Field Tester

Commander
Website
www.fieldtester.net
Why not just cut the tube out and lower it??:eek: LOL

Looks like I'm going to do that anyway. :rolleyes: Leaning towards repowering with a 6cta 430hp. That means I need to go to a 2" shaft and my shaft tube will need to be replaced.

I will look more into the ZF gear, but I don't know if I'll gain 5" from the smaller gear just to get to where I am now. My Cat was pretty low, although I believe the Cummins has a smaller pan and may drop a little lower than the Cat.

What do you guys think a Twin Disc 507A 1.5:1 with only 1200 hrs is worth?? It may be for sale!;)

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Check your tube size. They make 2 size cutlass bearings for each tube. You may have a big enough tube just need a bigger shaft and bearing. Why do you need 2 inch? 1 3/4 inch shaft will take a lot of abuse!

Field Tester

Commander
Website
www.fieldtester.net
Sorry... I don't NEED a 2" shaft, but it was recommended. And I do not have the larger shaft tube. I checked last night. doing a quick measurement, I got about 2.5". I was told I need a 3" tube for a 2" shaft. Sound about right? Forgive my lack of knowledge here with this stuff. I'm in the VERY early stages of figuring out exactly what I'm doing. The one thing I do know is that I want a 2:1 gear. The 507A would keep my engine the lowest, which is why I was looking for one. Once I figure out what I'm doing for a gear, I can try to sell my current one and the old Cat. I was originally looking at the 6bta, but the 6cta is almost the same price so I'm leaning heavily towards that motor.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
2 5/8 I believe is the needed inside diameter for a 2 inch shaft. Do you have 1 3/4 now? What size wheel can you swing on the jc? Is there a wet tube now? Sounds like a lot of work just to up the shaft size a small amount.

Field Tester

Commander
Website
www.fieldtester.net
Yes I have an 1 3/4 now. I believe I can swing a 23" wheel with a little modification. Capt. Larry can correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, it's a lot of work, and if I can leave the shaft tube alone, I will. Just trying to do this right once and be done with it.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
430 HP 23 wheel a 1.75 shaft is double OK. It sounds like you will need a 1.77 gear however and that will be a ZF. What is the WOT RPMs on your new choice of power?

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Yeah, I know he could also cut the tube out, tuna; just seemed like a pain in the ass if there was a chance to use the same mounts and more or less plug and play, but that would require using both the same engine and gear, which seems to be a moot point now. Sounds like quite a project taking shape.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Got ya. Hard to keep up w/ all these boats, but I guess this is a 31' JC w/ a 3116, so a 3116 or 3126 and 507A would be the cheapest and easiest if the gear was available. Anyhow, those are good boats so if he wants to change it up it's worthy. 430 hp C series would be quite an upgrade. Is the 220A up to that? That's 430 hp at 2600.

pugsley

Captain
Sorry... I don't NEED a 2" shaft, but it was recommended. And I do not have the larger shaft tube. I checked last night. doing a quick measurement, I got about 2.5". I was told I need a 3" tube for a 2" shaft. Sound about right? .[/QUOTE

why do you need a 3" tube for a 2" shaft? i have a 1 3/4 in a 2" tube, if i had the room, i would have gone with a 2" shaft, then you will probably never have to worry about it.

Top Bottom