WTF happened to this section???

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
What's with the flood of over priced beat down pieces of shit being posted these days? I thought the point of the found section was for members to root out the good deals on clean boats to have a kind of pre screened list for members to shop.

This should be the cream of the crop out of all the other listings not who can link the most useless over priced clapped out pieces of shit per month.

Lately people don't even read page 1 before posting let alone 2 or 3 to make sure its not a dupe. Nor does there seem to be any common sense with the posts.

That was the most PC version of that rant I could come up with.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I just bought a beat down old lobster boat and am absolutely smitten with it. The one that I owned before that I bought as a beat up piece of shit for short money. I just sold it for 3 times what I originally paid for it.
Are you saying that the boats are overpriced or that people shouldnt post work boats that need some love??? Buying a beat down old boat is the only way for some guys who work there boats to move up economically. Just check the downeast projects thread, there is a whole bunch of guys there that are busy giving new life to some of those so called pieces of crap. Dude I wouldnt even own a DE if it wasnt for someone trying to sell there piece of crap.

We could start a post for work boats/ projects for the men who still know how to turn a fucking wrench. And then we can have a post for the sperry topsider, kaki shorts, fuckin yellow or pink shirt wearing tea toddlers who dont want to get some dirt under there nails before they fire up there yanmars and head out on the sound for some martinis

Dude, there are like 8 billion people on this planet. Trust me there is an ass for every seat. The same thing that you call a piece of shit could be someone elses dream boat.

The posts are just showing people whats out there, no ones forcing it down your throats. As far as the over priced boats go,thats all in the eye of the prospective buyer. If you read the forum rules they specifically say that you are not supposed to bash these boats or there price tags unless you have personally inspected the vessel yourself.

But, after all that said, I do see some of your frustration with some of the ridiculous shit that shows up here. But once again, its just an advertisement.

You gotta take the good and the bad.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Iam not saying don't post the boats that need work....iam always looking...but some of these prices are out of control for 40 year old boats....your new boats price of 38,000 asking ....Imao was priced to sell...with some wiggle room....but some of these boat owners don't wanna leave anything on the bone..for the do it yourself kind of guy.....like a lot of us

frobo.1

Lieutenant
I just bought a beat down old lobster boat and am absolutely smitten with it. The one that I owned before that I bought as a beat up piece of shit for short money. I just sold it for 3 times what I originally paid for it.
Are you saying that the boats are overpriced or that people shouldnt post work boats that need some love??? Buying a beat down old boat is the only way for some guys who work there boats to move up economically. Just check the downeast projects thread, there is a whole bunch of guys there that are busy giving new life to some of those so called pieces of crap. Dude I wouldnt even own a DE if it wasnt for someone trying to sell there piece of crap.

We could start a post for work boats/ projects for the men who still know how to turn a fucking wrench. And then we can have a post for the sperry topsider, kaki shorts, fuckin yellow or pink shirt wearing tea toddlers who dont want to get some dirt under there nails before they fire up there yanmars and head out on the sound for some martinis

Dude, there are like 8 billion people on this planet. Trust me there is an ass for every seat. The same thing that you call a piece of shit could be someone elses dream boat.

The posts are just showing people whats out there, no ones forcing it down your throats. As far as the over priced boats go,thats all in the eye of the prospective buyer. If you read the forum rules they specifically say that you are not supposed to bash these boats or there price tags unless you have personally inspected the vessel yourself.

But, after all that said, I do see some of your frustration with some of the ridiculous shit that shows up here. But once again, its just an advertisement.

You gotta take the good and the bad.
amen brother

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
1970 Jarvis Newmans , Webers Coves and beat to shit lobster boats for 50 and 60 grand ...my god......I even saw a Repco for 129,000 ..WTF

yah it seem like everyone just posts stupid junk now....also off topic but what happened to the maine commercial fishing swap and sell on facebook it seems like more of a conversation place for idiots now than listing boats and gear....its like "hey im bored whats everyones favorite boat"...

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
I have almost given up on my DE search. Driving all over the northeast to see one piece of junk after the next. I am a real buyer and can't find anything good. I have looked at a few 38 Henriques in the past couple weeks and my god are you getting allot for your money. It's sad but I agree there is allot of overpriced junk out there. Came close on two boats but the owners are too stupid and think there boat is gold. Anyone know of a good DE sport fish, not a lobster boat let me know. I am getting pretty frustrated. I have moved my budget up slightly and it hasn’t seemed to even matter.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
resale value

sorry you can't find a good boat, but in the long run this is good for all DE owners , in that supply and demand will keep the resale value up. A new boat is out of the question for many because of the astronomical prices. just keep it in mind and price a new boat if you don't believe me, a new engine alone 500hp will set you back 60k.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
old shell, i hear you. But i have worked hard for my money and i am not giving it up for something that isn't worthy, whether there is a surplus or the market is tight doesn't mean i am going to over pay.

Rockasauras

Captain
I have almost given up on my DE search. Driving all over the northeast to see one piece of junk after the next. I am a real buyer and can't find anything good. I have looked at a few 38 Henriques in the past couple weeks and my god are you getting allot for your money. It's sad but I agree there is allot of overpriced junk out there. Came close on two boats but the owners are too stupid and think there boat is gold. Anyone know of a good DE sport fish, not a lobster boat let me know. I am getting pretty frustrated. I have moved my budget up slightly and it hasn’t seemed to even matter.

I FEEL YOUR PAIN !!! BROTHER...been at it myself for the past 4-5 months. I really want to go with the DE but as the OP said there are a bunch of "clapped out pieces of sh*t" advertised at absurd prices. This would certainly bode well for the pink shirt wearing owners of a nicely kept rig who wants to sell it.
Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking anyone who wants to put the tools to a project boat...Amen to that, but I wouldn't think they are forking over the asking price for some of the stuff I have observed. Even gave the project route some thought myself. "Fuzzy Math" can't make it work for me.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
project route

I FEEL YOUR PAIN !!! BROTHER...been at it myself for the past 4-5 months. I really want to go with the DE but as the OP said there are a bunch of "clapped out pieces of sh*t" advertised at absurd prices. This would certainly bode well for the pink shirt wearing owners of a nicely kept rig who wants to sell it.
Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking anyone who wants to put the tools to a project boat...Amen to that, but I wouldn't think they are forking over the asking price for some of the stuff I have observed. Even gave the project route some thought myself. "Fuzzy Math" can't make it work for me.

don't count your labor and it works every time :)

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
The value is in the eyes of the buyer. Like my Bhm I just purchased. For a guy who has skills like myself, I could put 5-10k into it and have a great boat. Fish her for a year or two and most likely still get all my money back. So for me, the 35k I paid is a great deal. But for a guy who would have to pay someone to do all that work, it would problem cost them 20k to get it fixed up. For that guy, it's a bad deal.

It's a functional 32 Bhm with a re built gear and engine with under 3500 hours on it. For a guy with limited budget looking for a work boat, 35 k is a great deal.

You should see the 31 Rp up on mount desert island that I went to look at. It was an absolute piece of shit. Dude wanted 40,000. Of he had said 15,000 I honestly still would have walked away.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
The value is in the eyes of the buyer. Like my Bhm I just purchased. For a guy who has skills like myself, I could put 5-10k into it and have a great boat. Fish her for a year or two and most likely still get all my money back. So for me, the 35k I paid is a great deal. But for a guy who would have to pay someone to do all that work, it would problem cost them 20k to get it fixed up. For that guy, it's a bad deal.

It's a functional 32 Bhm with a re built gear and engine with under 3500 hours on it. For a guy with limited budget looking for a work boat, 35 k is a great deal.

You should see the 31 Rp up on mount desert island that I went to look at. It was an absolute piece of shit. Dude wanted 40,000. Of he had said 15,000 I honestly still would have walked away.

poor man's rose alway's smell's sweeter

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
It's much easier to buy a boat when you know it's going to make you money every time you leave the dock. It becomes more of an investment than a purchase. It's a means to an end. It's just like tools. I never feel guilty buying those either.

But if I were a martini boater, I can see how not getting a great deal on something that is a poor investment no matter what you paid for it would piss me off. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a boat like this without it turning a profit.

HUNTHARD

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
42 WESMAC
I don't mind a little work. I am not expecting the boat to be perfect, but with how much I work I don't have the time for a true fixer upper. Waiting to hear back from a few guys in the next few days. I can tell you for the same money. No ac, no bathroom, shit electronics, 5000 plus hours, slow and no creature comforts. vs. the total opposite for the same money. I am willing to give up a little sea worthiness. Just my two cents, and all I am doing is really fishing 24/7. Not a fish occasionally type of guy. Just comes down to bang for buck and I am not seeing it lately.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
JW there is a huge difference between your bhm and the boats i was refering to. A running bhm that needs some love is miles away from my rant. That is my point tho. Deals like yours are the boats we should be posting. Sorry if my rant offended you but i dont consider a bhm a pos

Top Bottom