Wynne Windows

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
I have new wynne windows installed this spring. The front opening window leaks as well as the two sliders on the port and starboard. Anyone else have problems with these? The leaks are coming through the gaskets not the frames.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
I started out going to use Wynne windows when we built the boat. The more I talked to people with them in their boats, they all have one or more leaking. I upgraded to Diamond Sea Glaze windows. No leaks in eight years.

coddock

Commander
wynne leakers

yep, mine leak. Only when they feel like it though. I know one in particular is leaking at the mounting surface. I will try the butyl (SP?) tape for installation next go around!

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
No leaks in almost 5000 hrs. I wonder if windows are like engines. Lack of use is worse than normal every day use?????????

John 40

Lieutenant Commander
Did they leak on the first of those 5000 hrs.? Mine did. I knew some people have had trouble with the swing outs but I thought the sliders were good.

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
mine are a year old and a couple leak just a little bit if your really driving into it hard...check out Bomon windows in quebec....talk to willam boone he is the sales guy for them, I thought they were wicked expensive but my friend did his Crowley at the same time and it was not to much more than I paid for my wynnes....and those bomons are pretty comparable to a diamond seaglaze in quality....wynne was great do deal with though no complaints there....

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
10 years and no leaks in my swing outs. I don't have any sliders.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Did they leak on the first of those 5000 hrs.? Mine did. I knew some people have had trouble with the swing outs but I thought the sliders were good.

Oh. My swing out leaks but it should. It isn't sealed. It is just some lexan flipping down over a hole. I didn't think that would count for the obvious reason.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
I have heard good things about Marinelite windows. They are supposed to be excellent quality, a little pricey but not as bad as Diamond Seaglaze.

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
this past winter I replaced my older wynnes with the new ones. all is great, but just like the last ones, where the gasket wraps around the glass and meets, the need to use a non shrinking silicone...I could see daylight through some small gaps on the edges of the gasket and the goo they used..i popped it all out, used a west system syringe with ge window silicone, and re filled the space.. so far all summer, some snotty weather, and not a drop ..

captcod

Lieutenant
i love my diamond sea glaze.......dont leak a drop but i dont have a slider or a flip window which i was tempted to get but didnt because they seem problematic

Bomon Windows

I have installed all the windows that have been mentioned. The best by far for quality and service are the bomons. You talk to Willem Boon directly when placing an order, He provides an "As built" template of the windows that he builds. Which is a CAD drawing and is extremely accurate. The windows are delivered on time. The price is less than Diamond Seaglaze and You don't have the multiple layers of mark ups or miscommunication

Capt. Rick

Commander
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
If there is one thing I hate on a boat it is leaky windows!! I installed
Diamond Seaglaze and not one leak, 3 years now.

joe4852

Lieutenant Commander
Restarting this thread instead of creating new, hope it works out. Replacing the windows on my 35 Duffy. Decided to go with Wynne. Seems like a lot of guys use them and a good value. 16 windows in total. A few questions.
1. Current windows are green tint and during some late night returns viability could be better. I'm thinking about clear in the front and tint sides and back.does it look strange? Anyone done that and regret it?
2. What color tint is most popular? I didn't look around last summer to take notice. thinking of grey.
3. Glass choice? 1/4 safety glass is the majority of the business I'm told. Is 3/8" over kill on a 35' ? What do most have in this class?
4. Butyl Tape vs marine silicone? best seal? the house has that slight bow front to back (1989 vintage) which may impact the seal. Any way to straighten it out before attempting the install?
Thanks for the help

Keelboater

Admiral
Boat Make
35' Bruno & Stillman
I used clear on the front for running at night and light gray tinted on the sides. The tint "carries through" to the front and you don't really notice the clear windows.

Drifter

Lieutenant
Just received my front windows from Wynne. Clear in the front and light tinted everywhere else. One full opening hopefully no leaks. They were great to do business with.

JSP

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
AJ-28

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Clear front tinted sides looks fine. Tape and silicone is best way in my experience. They will eventually get leaks regardless. This way you pop em out clean everything up and reinstall in less than an hour. Put the tape on the frame and a light coat of silicone on the tape.

joe4852

Lieutenant Commander
I used clear on the front for running at night and light gray tinted on the sides. The tint "carries through" to the front and you don't really notice the clear windows.

that helps - thanks Keelboater

joe4852

Lieutenant Commander
Clear front tinted sides looks fine. Tape and silicone is best way in my experience. They will eventually get leaks regardless. This way you pop em out clean everything up and reinstall in less than an hour. Put the tape on the frame and a light coat of silicone on the tape.
thanks Captain. What thickness did you use? I assume the tape goes against the aluminum frame and peels off if needed?

Top Bottom