Yamaha 225 OX66 Survey Ideas?

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
272 Grady White Sailfish
Surveying a boat tomorrow with twin yamaha OX66 225’s with 560ish hours per owner (2000 vintage). Surveyor is doing compression check and checking LU oil. Sea trial to check RPMs under load. Based on everything I can find there isn’t much more I can look at to assess the engines besides obvious visual signs of misuse which from my first inspection was clean and both started right away cold in a tub in sellers driveway. Any idea if there’s a way to check cross hatching to see if they’ve been rebuilt? I’ve been hearing conflicting info on this. Anything else to check besides compression/LU/running under load? My last engine was a 4 stroke so the computer told a lot but that’s not an option on this. Any insight on what to check besides the known or basic things appreciated

archsea bunker

Lieutenant Commander
IMO one of the best motors Yamaha made, compression check should be close on all cylinders hot and cold . Lower unit as noted, I would pull the thermostat to check for salt build up but then you need the gasket to put it back. If you move forward get yourself a manual very easy motor to work on, any issues are usually fuel related , Thats very low hours for those motors, low pressur fuel pumps and the vst filter are the usual culprits for poor running, Good luck

Boxerboy2

Lieutenant Commander
Easy motor, you will get real familiar with your VST filter/tank but its no big deal. No engine hours on the electronics so you will need faith in the original owner on total hours.

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
272 Grady White Sailfish
Thanks guys, surveyed perfect yesterday, got up to RPM in range and 11/12 cylinders were at 115 compression with one at 120. Clean LU oil and no issues during sea trial. Engines seem to be in great shape just like the rest of the boat. Owner has a shop manual for them that’ll be mine at closing so I’ll make sure to get to know that well

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
272 Grady White Sailfish
Best of luck .
Thanks, bringing it home by water next week so starting to order multiples of each fuel filter to carry for changes if needed. Have extra plugs and tstats. Anything else I should consider bringing along for an 8 hour ride?

NC_Colfax

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User

Jjammer

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
36 Stanley / John Williams
Thanks, bringing it home by water next week so starting to order multiples of each fuel filter to carry for changes if needed. Have extra plugs and tstats. Anything else I should consider bringing along for an 8 hour ride?
Plenty of oil — 8 hours cruising twin 225 2 strokes will burn some fuel

Good luck they’re great motors

And remember, “if it ain’t smokin, it’s broken”

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
272 Grady White Sailfish
Plenty of oil — 8 hours cruising twin 225 2 strokes will burn some fuel

Good luck they’re great motors

And remember, “if it ain’t smokin, it’s broken”
162 miles from RI to NH, the oil tanks are full and I have 4 extra gallons (9 total, 2x2.5 currently in the boat and 4 to bring along for the ride). Plan is to get from westerly to sandwich marina, top off on oil and fuel and run from the east end of CC canal to great bay marine in newington NH. Navionics has it at 8 hours averaging 23kts. Friday looks perfect to leave 7/730am. Hope to be to GBM by 4 with one fuel stop just don’t know what may come up I.e. fuel issues, fog, canal traffic etc. first time doing the trip but will be with someone who has done it a handful of times which will be super helpful.
Happy to keep hearing these engines are great!

Top Bottom