Yanmar 6LP260

Keels Rock

Lieutenant
Go with a Cummins.................GO WITH A CUMMINS............Yanmar work great in Sailboats, Cummins equals better motors with cheaper and way more available parts and service;) JMHO

ANUT

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Novi
Go with a cummins....My uncle re-powered his 38 H&H with a Yanmar that I run often and its nice and all but I would rather have cummins power and service any day of the week.

jojobee

Commander
The cummins is a nice engine but being the sales rep (full disclosure) I have to say we offer a nice product too. This 6LP has been around a long time and it is a solid engine. The engine is about 500lbs less then the 1350lbs 6BT as well.

Our dealer network is large and many of our dealers are Cummins dealers.

As far as American Iron is concerned the recon is assembled in Mexico. A lot of the Yanmars are assembled here in GA.

We are great in sailboats, launches, and all sorts of boats. If you need any help...let me know. I would be glad to help.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Go with a Cummins.................GO WITH A CUMMINS............Yanmar work great in Sailboats, Cummins equals better motors with cheaper and way more available parts and service;) JMHO
Hinckley isn't specifying Yanmar in certain models of their picnic boat lineup for the relatively small price difference between the two. I think that most here would agree that the typical Hinckley picnic boat customer wouldn't notice the price difference between Cummins and Yanmar power so financials aren't the reason that Hinckley specifies Yanmar.

I'm specifying Yanmar because their 370 hp LV series weighs 500# less than the equivalent Cummins B series (bobtail weights).

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
The cummins is a nice engine but being the sales rep (full disclosure) I have to say we offer a nice product too. This 6LP has been around a long time and it is a solid engine. The engine is about 500lbs less then the 1350lbs 6BT as well.

Our dealer network is large and many of our dealers are Cummins dealers.

As far as American Iron is concerned the recon is assembled in Mexico. A lot of the Yanmars are assembled here in GA.

We are great in sailboats, launches, and all sorts of boats. If you need any help...let me know. I would be glad to help.
True, assembled in Mexico, American parts though, exceot for the German (Bosch) fuel pump LOL.
No issues with the 6LP, I'm just partial to Cummins.

Keels Rock

Lieutenant
Hinckley isn't specifying Yanmar in certain models of their picnic boat lineup for the relatively small price difference between the two. I think that most here would agree that the typical Hinckley picnic boat customer wouldn't notice the price difference between Cummins and Yanmar power so financials aren't the reason that Hinckley specifies Yanmar.

I'm specifying Yanmar because their 370 hp LV series weighs 500# less than the equivalent Cummins B series (bobtail weights).
Less weight usually equals less durability.......Which is fine because most hinkleys sit at the dock and the they want to sell speed which is accomplished through less weight. One will never get the hours out of a Yanmar that one would from a cummins. Then when they break down see how long it takes to get them fixed and compare the cost of parts. I guess when I think of downeast boats I think of work boats by in large, and there comes in the facet of durability and down time, which equals parts availibilty and service. There really is no comparison. Unless you get charged by the pound to haul it out of the water. Hinkley owners and then there is the rest of us. Spent three months trying to get a Yanmar fixed with horrendous service from Mack Boring to the tune of 17 grand to rebuild a Yanmar with catastropic failure at 1100 hours. Missed almost the whole season, and mack boring treated us like a bunch of assholes because they didnt want to deal with us direct but they sure took the check from us direct when we picked up and made sure it was a bank check because they knew how disgusted we were. But it sure was a light motor....never again. Maybe this will help substantiate my opinion.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Jeeze,

I was going to ask the Yanmar rep here what Yanmar had to offer in the 4 banger 200-240 hp class that competes with Volvo D4.

Too bad Yanmar stopped producing 4LH 200-240.

Guess I'll have to go Volvo if I build a boat too small for a Cummins to fiy .

Keels Rock

Lieutenant
Because that motor was one of the twins we had to rebuild from a cracked block at 1100 hrs! No wonder they dont make em anymore. 20 grand lesson from being a Yanmar guiney pig 1 yr out of warranty. Then had to wait three months to get it repaired, missed the whole season, NEVER AGAIN. Stick with tried and true, period. Just dont want someone to learn what we did the hard and extremely costly way while getting treated like shit from Mack Boring. Did I mention I love Cummins:D

jojobee

Commander
Sorry about your experience Keels Rocks but you can find happy Yanmar owners and unhappy Cummins owners too. Yanmar also has a lot of engines out there with thousands of hours.

I wanted to offer up some rebuilds we have. I can appreciate the fact that people are loyal to certain brands. I have my loyalties too. Hopefully I can help someone.

Bill-our BY 150-260hp engines have been performing nicely for us. Let me know if I can help.

jojobee

Commander
Of course I do, but I'm sure you want a local and that's fair enough.

Check the launches in Newport. They have over 12k

A commercial bass fisherman has over 9k on a 6lp in Montauk

Albemarle has a fleet of LH's in Costa Rica

jojobee

Commander
The 4LH's could not be made to meet emissions. I will anticipate the next question in regards to common rail...it was not an option for this engine.

Keels Rock

Lieutenant
The 4LHs were probably THE BEST 4 cyl/ 200-240 hp out there.
Why Yanmar discontinued availability in the states is anyone's guess.

These engines were bulletproof.

The replacement BYs....????
I guess we got the lemon, since 1100 hrs was all it took to self destruct. Had twins, both got the same maint, one dies, one doesnt. Real Bad Luck?? Our motors were 99s, and latter learned that the engine mounts were notoriously poor as they made sure to have us swap out in the other motor when the rebuilt was installed. I would highly reccommend that anyone with a Yanmar check their mounts and allignment yearly!! Not that that isnt good practice anyhow. Wish everyone better luck than ours with Yanmar durability and subsequent need for timely professional service. Nothing against any local mechanics of course.

Crazy Ivan

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26 Duffy (sold)
6LP Yanmar

I have a 2005 6LPA in my 26' er. About 600 hours on it. So far so good. Sips fuel, runs strong. I think the key is just like every other engine, it must be propped right.

VPC

Lieutenant Commander

i put 440 yanmar in my mc32 that after a 63p volvo the yanmar weighs considerably less around 600-900 lbs so far i put 400 hrs on it seems good, quiet less exhaust no complaints if i build a bigger boat i would lean toward cummins in lieu of the fact yanmar stops at around 650hp

yanmar

Captain
Boat Make
26 chesepeake 22 tripp
Jesus i'd better change my screen name .................. lol . The only problem i had with my 4 lh was the asshole Bill Judge who installed it in my 27' cheseapeake . Mack Boring made sure all the corrections were taken care of .

CaptAlex

Lieutenant
Boat Make
35' H&H
Yanmar 6CXM-GTE2 with 3200+ hrs ... costs a fortune for filters and parts but with very regular maintenance, this engine has been a beast and a joy ... (5-bladed prop)

Top Bottom