Yanmar Turbo - Rebuild Source?

Seawayva

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Tripp Angler 22' Flush Deck Cuddy
The turbo on my Yanmar 4LHA-STP needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Does anyone have a source? I have searched and have not been very successful in finding any information. I have a few emails and calls out to price a new unit but was wondering if anyone had had any success in rebuilding?

I am in the DC area if that has any impact.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Seawayva

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Thanks. I will give them a call and see what their price is. So far I think I am looking at about $2200.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

Seawayva

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
how many hours do you have on your engines?

550 on the single engine. Seems like really short life to me. I have always used Rotella oil and changed it religiously. I did have an impeller implode last year but the boat was quickly shut down and towed in. I was at idle when this happened.

I put in a new impeller and proabably ran the boat another 50 hours before this new turbo problem. The boat was then hauled to have the bottom painted. After they had put the boat back in, it ran fine once. Got it up to speed and the turbo spooled up fine. I ran it at about 90% power for maybe 15 minutes and I then throttled way back (maybe running 1000 rpms) and cruised slowly to find a fishing spot and anchored for about 2 or 3 hours. When I fired it back up, it would not spool up.

I had a mechanic look at it on Saturday after I had taken the air filter off to check that the turbo was spinning. It was, but not freely. I cleaned the intake side and it seemed to free it up. He spun the vanes by hand and found a "sticky spot" at the top of the revolution. His thoughts were that the bearings are shot. After he showed me where the sticky spot is, it was very evident and I could feel it as well.

He also gave me a number of his Yanmar parts guy as well as telling me how to replace the the unit myself since he said he thinks it is something I can swap out myself and that he doesn't want to make money off me. He is a good guy who has been a friend for a while. He suggested trying to find someone to do a rebuild as well as pricing a new unit.

So that is the really long answer to your question. 550 hours.

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
I have the same engines and 550 hours does seem low for this type of problem. Check your exhaust elbows too. I just had one fail on me. There seems to have been an issue with them in the past.
I have 760 hours on my engines

Seawayva

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
I have the same engines and 550 hours does seem low for this type of problem. Check your exhaust elbows too. I just had one fail on me. There seems to have been an issue with them in the past.
I have 760 hours on my engines

Does the exhaust elbow failure prevent the turbo from generating any boost? I am a bit over my head with these things.

What are the symptoms of a bad exhaust elbow?

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Turbo life

Here is a tip that will save you a turbo rebuild:

Tt is important to idle the motor after a run. The turbo spins a about 20,000 RPMs. when the motor is shut off quickly the turbo continues to spin without oil pressure which kills the bearings. At idle for a few minutes the turbo slowly stops spinning with good oil pressure. Idling after a run will save turbo life.

Dr Dude

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28

Seawayva

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
I need to pinpoint why it failed and also try to ascertain what it would cost to get mine rebuilt. Not knowing what goes into a rebuild is what seems to be hanging me up. I have emailed with Tony from Seaboard and he is very willing to help, but I am not sure what the charge will be to rebuild. Basically they sent me a detail of the turbo and told me to pick what pieces to replace and they would provide the pricing. I am more inclined to send the unit out and have the problem diagnosed and fixed since I have zero idea on what's what in there.

Estimator

Commander
Boat Make
43 Torres
I think the most simple way to put what happened to me that it rusted and then just broke.
Could be bad batch of metal used when they made them but who knows. I must have looked at this piece a hundred times but it never looked defective. My advice is to check them thoroughly and check for any hairline cracks.

Top Bottom