yb30

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
after asking some questions here, and reading some old threads, i realize that the young brothers 30 is on the small side for a 30, with a chunkier keel than some newer designs. many of you would not consider one for a new build, what with the h and h's etc...HOWEVER, something about the look of that hull really sweets me. so.....
how do you all think this boat would work as a simple, clean pleasure boat. i'm picturing no house sides. just for messing around in-picnic, cruising around, raftup, light fishing.
an all composite project with a new quiet gas engine?
would there be any room/headroom down below for a simple enclosed head, and some sort of basic berth with storage under?
i need to know if this hull would accomodate these simple requirements, or should i put it out of my mind once and for all.
obviously a ride in one of these boats would be a must:)
how do they ride? does their slippery reputation still stand?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I believe you will need to scooch down some while up forward. The lower you put your platform the less space you will have for your feet, so you have to search for that happy medium. If it is a center companionway, no big deal but if you are going with a side hatch, well, the curve of the hull isn't the best thing to put your feet on while going up forward. Just something to consider.

Making an enclosed head will give you a few headaches only because the space required for the enclosed part of it takes up a massive amount of room. Sliding panels or curtains would help keep an open feeling for a small space.

Berth with storage isn't a problem, but the amount of storage vs. useable space of the berth might give you a hassle. Don't want it too low so that you have space that isn't easy to use, don't want it too high so that it's uncomfortable to lay on.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I believe you will need to scooch down some while up forward. The lower you put your platform the less space you will have for your feet, so you have to search for that happy medium. If it is a center companionway, no big deal but if you are going with a side hatch, well, the curve of the hull isn't the best thing to put your feet on while going up forward. Just something to consider.

Making an enclosed head will give you a few headaches only because the space required for the enclosed part of it takes up a massive amount of room. Sliding panels or curtains would help keep an open feeling for a small space.

Berth with storage isn't a problem, but the amount of storage vs. useable space of the berth might give you a hassle. Don't want it too low so that you have space that isn't easy to use, don't want it too high so that it's uncomfortable to lay on.
appreciate the input. it's hard to get info about the 30yb.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
hey woundup,

from your time with your 30, do you think a new kit boat could satisfy the needs i listed above?
i don't need a massive boat. and 30 is the upper limit of what i was thinking.
thanks

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland
Last edited:

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
At 5'-8" I look at it as being height challeneged or ... "I can't help it my ass was built to close to the ground."

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
thanks woundup,
that answers all my questions (so far:)
i'm happy that the yb30 can still top my list.
i'm 6'2", so i'd be crouching quite a bit down below (probably in alot of boats).
that really wouldn't bother me, as the enclosed head is really for my wife more than myself. she's 5'1. but i'd still have to go aboard one .
this boat wouldn't be happening for a couple years while i put some $$ aside.
researching and shopping around is a really fun part of it though.

what does everybody think,would a cored hull above the waterline make sense for weight considerations?

Also, i see on sw's webpage, that doubled stringers that also run further forward are an option.
what would that beefier option be for? a commercial boat?

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
thanks woundup,
that answers all my questions (so far:)
i'm happy that the yb30 can still top my list.
i'm 6'2", so i'd be crouching quite a bit down below (probably in alot of boats).
that really wouldn't bother me, as the enclosed head is really for my wife more than myself. she's 5'1. but i'd still have to go aboard one .
this boat wouldn't be happening for a couple years while i put some $$ aside.
researching and shopping around is a really fun part of it though.

what does everybody think,would a cored hull above the waterline make sense for weight considerations?

Also, i see on sw's webpage, that doubled stringers that also run further forward are an option.
what would that beefier option be for? a commercial boat?

I resurrected "Woundup"s original thread on his 30 YB for ya !!

http://downeastboatforum.com/downeast-engine-room/neglected-isuzu-1759-5.html#post41456

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
thanks bill,
i missed that thread when i was searching around.
i know it irritates people when you ask a question that has already been covered.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
thanks bill,
i missed that thread when i was searching around.
i know it irritates people when you ask a question that has already been covered.
Nickyp,Just ask the question.....and there are alot of good guys that will help out the best they can...

Top Bottom