your ideal helm ?

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
would you rather have one large MFD, or two smaller MFD on your helm ?

personally i like 2 if one fails, but 1 large one looks pretty clean.

if money wasn;t a question 2 large MFD's or maybe 3 :D

trying to get some ideas as i re-tool the bridge

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
How about two mfd and stand alone ff

i got a 585 and 2kw sitting up in the hardtop box, what i'm looking to do is glass up an enlosure above my gauges at the helm to give me 2 8 inch screens at the helm. use the 2kw as a back up, the 585 as a stand alone. once 8 inch nav +4g radar overlay, other for ff/downscan. but then i think how cool an 12 inch nse would look there

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
I like stand alone. The big three are Radar, GPS, Fishfinder. With stand alone units if one unit fails you can usually get the day in with the other two. Plus during the repair you still have the other two.
In addition with stand alone each unit has it is own touch pad or touch screen, so each one only gets 1/3 of the use.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I had one large MFD that I ran as a plotter with radar overlay along with two lorans a numeric GPS which I mostly used for marking gear and a cross reference and a stand alone sounder.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
interesting view larry, so what elecs would you prefer as a plotter/gps ?

playing devils advocate, in true networked form, if 1 mfd failed, you can use the other. However if one sensor failed you loose that feature unless everything is redundant. 2X radar, transducers, gps ant.

greg

Captain
I have two 12's, I hate splitting screens. But, the two MFD's are not the same generation. The one I use primarily as my chartplotter and to drive the AP is the latest and greatest. The other one is one gen back.

Ive got one mounted low on the dash, and one high from the roof of the house. Wrks well because I can see the high one from the pit to get depth, temp, and returns on the sounder while trolling or chunking.

The older unit is fine to display radar and/or sonar and can do everything if the newer unit goes out. I do have 2 gps antennas on the network as well.

So you can go with one 12 now, and add a compatible one when you get the coin, but it doesn't have to be another nse12. I believe you can share the network with nss, or even lowrance displays. You could also just add an 8 instead of a second 12.

It's always good to have a second gps, but even a handheld can work in an emergency.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
For starters a perfer Furuno. These two stand alones I give very high marks to. The 4 Kw Radar with the 11" screen excellent along with the 585 finder & 1000 watt transducter. Bothy are mounted a swivels so when I am in the cockpit I and view them.

March photo 06 355.jpg

new scope.jpg

Robert M

Captain
Boat Make
2000 Genral Marine 31 duffy Hull
I like stand alone. The big three are Radar, GPS, Fishfinder. With stand alone units if one unit fails you can usually get the day in with the other two. Plus during the repair you still have the other two.
In addition with stand alone each unit has it is own touch pad or touch screen, so each one only gets 1/3 of the use.

I agree 100%. But I'm old school. I use three separate setups myself. Don't get me wrong , the new fanguled touch screens that do everything but reel the fish in are neat, but if it shits the bed your out of luck. Kinda like buying a tv with DVD player built in.
Plus who would want a touch screen on your boat while fishing? I can't keep the mustard off my iPad right now. How am I gonna keep the blood and crap off my plotter at sea?

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Larry, is that commercial mount still available on the radar looks pretty sweet...

I was down the boat today just thinking about this same thing...

I've had both the NSE8 and now NSS8. I really want to get the NSS12 or NSE12 leftover. the only problem is this, its not worth it once you start having to add the structure scan box for $600 and then the weather module for $700. For the same price you can get the Lowrance Touch 12" that already has that stuff inside so just need the xducers and antenna.

Not to mention the Simrad NSE series you still need to add $299 to get an antenna on. The internal NSS antenna has 75 hours on it this fall without any failures so probably keep that until I upgrade and get the radar overlay where I need the heading sensor bit.

I LOVE SIMRAD but man its alike $1250-1500 extra over the Lowrance unit to just get the extra modules on it. That is almost HALF the cost of the MFD itself. So not sure what to do...

BTW, my ideal helm has a MERMAID of the day on it...

Last edited:

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
This was the set up I had except I swaped out the older raymarine radar for a bigger C serier display along with a more powerful radar dome shortly after this photo was taken.

index_004.jpg

Top Bottom