Your thoughts on Detroit 8.2, 300 HP?

Alison Tuna

Captain
Boat Make
Privateer
I know a lot of guys say the 8.2 250 HP are better but I am looking at a scow for the family. Single 8.2 rated at 300.

Not going to charter or commercial fish. Boat does 15 knots. Light use just for weekends etc.

What do we know besides detroits spree oil all over n that they are loud?

burley

Lieutenant
run away! Had a 250 8.2' Did not last long. Dont think they were ever ment to go in a boat, Good in a truck but dont last in a boat.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
NO not loud like a 2 stroke, not a terrible engine either. the downfall of the 8.2 was the shady tree mechanic, not having the special tools to work on them and the lack of knowledge for the specs. plenty in lobster boats down here that have a shit ton of hours on them. If so bad why would they keep em ?

jawz

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
23 sea craft - 31 bertram
run away! Had a 250 8.2' Did not last long. Dont think they were ever ment to go in a boat, Good in a truck but dont last in a boat.

excellent advice right here !!

8.2 detroits : a considerable amount of parts are no longer produced - example - circulation pumps

I recommend you call the local Detroit dealer near you,ask about availability of parts 609-272-1415 that's j&t's phone number in atlantic city,those guys will repeat what I just typed...

Montauk Rocket

Commander
My first inboard boat (32 blackfin) had twin 8.2's.

It might have just been me, but it was always one thing after another. Oil pans are prone to rusting, after cooler soots up, turbos needed work twice. Apparently they are very prone to overheating as well.

When I sold my blackfin I had to give it away because no one liked the 8.2's.

Turned out to be a very expensive lesson for me. So bad it turned me off of boating for a few years. I'd never buy them again. (But id never buy anything other than commercial rated diesel at this point. To go fast I'll stick with a four stroke outboard.)

Just my .02.

onion

Lieutenant
I think the older 8.2 engines had 14mm head bolts which did not work out Detroit saw a problem and increased them to 15mm

Top Bottom