ZF 80 1-A gear

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Have a ZF 80 1-a gear that is a 2/1 ratio.. It's a bigger gear than the 63A ., looking to bolt it up to my yanmar 4lh.. Anyone know if this is ok? Bolt pattern is the same on the bell housing

image.jpg

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
ZF 80 / 4lh

Bill
Keep us posted on your progress with the gear. I also have a 4lh but with a Kanzaki gear. I am getting sick of hearing it bang in and out of gear and was considering a ZF.

sbmar.com

Lieutenant
Boat Make
36Ft Custom Wilson SF
The ZF80A has a very colorful history as to torsional issues.. So IMO, tread lightly..

As to the "fit" vs the ZF63A (typical gear) --all the same as to adapters, etc. --It's just physically larger on the outside.

Tony

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
The ZF80A has a very colorful history as to torsional issues.. So IMO, tread lightly..

As to the "fit" vs the ZF63A (typical gear) --all the same as to adapters, etc. --It's just physically larger on the outside.

Tony

Thanks Tony that just made my mind up about that.

jojobee

Commander
I would call Adam at marine transmissions. This group is part of Mack Boring. He can help you find the correct torsional damper.
908-964-0700 x258

Fortier256... The kanzaki KMH50 has been a great gear. Perhaps you could give Adam a call too.

If you need additional help, give me a call 908-337-4789. I'm the sales rep for Mack Boring
Joe

fortier256

Captain
Boat Make
Fortier 26
I would call Adam at marine transmissions. This group is part of Mack Boring. He can help you find the correct torsional damper.
908-964-0700 x258

Fortier256... The kanzaki KMH50 has been a great gear. Perhaps you could give Adam a call too.

If you need additional help, give me a call 908-337-4789. I'm the sales rep for Mack Boring
Joe
I have the KM 5A gear. I've replaced a cone which is acceptable to me as a maintenance item. However I'm under the impression the nature of the beast is that it bangs when initially engaged?

jojobee

Commander
My Bad, I thought you had a KMH50A gear. This has a hydraulic clutch pack. Cone clutch engagements are not as refined.

Boat Make
26 JC

Tony
Colorful is putting it very delicately. The smaller ZF gears that use ATF (80, 63, 45, down to the M5) are actually Hurth gears from Arco Italy. They usually performed OK behind gas and smaller diesels if the installation met the application guidelines with the exception of the 80 series that suffered chronic torsional failures behind Cummins B series and the equivalent Yanmars (6LP? LH?). Complete clutchpack failures happened within 50 to 200 hrs and was addressed with a "weighted mass" torsional coupling which had a heavy steel plate added to the transmission side of the coupling. I never understood why the 80 series was continued when the ZF220 (a Padova Italy designed gear) overlapped it in application and was very durable and well regarded, often lasting the life of the engine. Padova gears ( 220, 280, 301 on up to the Friedrichshafen series) are the ones using SAE 30 motor oil. At the risk of being redundant -but better safe than sorry, anytime you mix and match gears and couplings check the crankshaft endplay after bolting it all up. On engines less than 9 liters or so I really didn't even check the manufactures tolerances, just as long as it had some play and I could hear the thrust bearing fore and aft.

Last edited:
Top Bottom