ZF280 Gear 2:1 and rotation - question?

joe4852

Lieutenant Commander
I have a ZF280 Gear 2:1 currently running RH rotation. I see a prop available here that is LH that I would be interested in.
Any problems simply switching rotations? I was told its owners preference, the gear runs fine either rotation.
I notice most Props are running RH. Is there a benefit of RH over left? What's the difference in the ride?
Boat is a 35 Duffy Low Shear /500HP Yanmar, 2900 RPM motor.
Thanks
Joe

Dslpwr

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
You can run LH or Rh prop doesn’t matter just switch cable at the shifter handle

southshore30

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay

Dslpwr

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
35' Mitchell Cove, 13’ Whaler
Or switch at the gear lever. This maybe easier.
Gear lever you will have to have cable in the other direction which involve making a new bracket you’ll need a new cable most likely. Plus the Zf gear comes with a bracket mount on control box.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I have a ZF280 Gear 2:1 currently running RH rotation. I see a prop available here that is LH that I would be interested in.
Any problems simply switching rotations? I was told its owners preference, the gear runs fine either rotation.
I notice most Props are running RH. Is there a benefit of RH over left? What's the difference in the ride?
Boat is a 35 Duffy Low Shear /500HP Yanmar, 2900 RPM motor.
Thanks
Joe
Left or right hand rotation preference depends on where your helm is on the boat. Most often approaching a dock or pier it is done helm side to as visibility is better for the approach. You want your boat to back or pull to the side of the boat that the helm is on when in reverse. This way when approaching a dock at an angle, when the engine is put in reverse the bow pulls away and the stern pulls in causing the boat to go parallel with the dock. If the rotation was the other way the the angle of approach would increase not decrease making docking more difficult.

joe4852

Lieutenant Commander
Left or right hand rotation preference depends on where your helm is on the boat. Most often approaching a dock or pier it is done helm side to as visibility is better for the approach. You want your boat to back or pull to the side of the boat that the helm is on when in reverse. This way when approaching a dock at an angle, when the engine is put in reverse the bow pulls away and the stern pulls in causing the boat to go parallel with the dock. If the rotation was the other way the the angle of approach would increase not decrease making docking more difficult.
Thanks Blitzen. I guess that explains the popularity of the RH rotation.

I think you’re saying right side helm, RH rotation prop , approaching dock on right and reverse will tend to pull stern into dock. best case.

joe4852

Lieutenant Commander
I prefer LH props. Starboard helm and theoretic prop nut tightening.
Any particular reason for the preference? Is your dock on port side? So when you back down the stern moves in?

Mine is on right and I always thought I was just great at the helm or the hull design made her back right. Now Blitzen has pointed out there are some prop hydro physics going on when backing down .

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
Any particular reason for the preference? Is your dock on port side? So when you back down the stern moves in?

Mine is on right and I always thought I was just great at the helm or the hull design made her back right. Now Blitzen has pointed out there are some prop hydro physics going on when backing down .
Yup. It walks the stern in while backing. It’s the paddle wheel effect.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Thanks Blitzen. I guess that explains the popularity of the RH rotation.

I think you’re saying right side helm, RH rotation prop , approaching dock on right and reverse will tend to pull stern into dock. best case.
No it is the other way around, Starboard helm, left hand rotation. When in reverse you want the wheel to pull the stern towards the dock.

joe4852

Lieutenant Commander
No it is the other way around, Starboard helm, left hand rotation. When in reverse you want the wheel to pull the stern towards the dock.
I see. What Woundup said "A right hand helm will want a LH prop. " And as Genius prefers.

southshore30

Captain
Lite User
Boat Make
36 Northern Bay
Boat Make
26 JC
To me, only reason to go right hand propeller is they are more popular and so are more often in stock. Other than that, the gear doesn't care, and you'll get used to how your boat handles in one Diesel and Tito's weekend.
Easiest is to switch shift cable direction at the control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom