zincs in my yanmar 4LHA-DTE

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by samneedsaboat, Apr 25, 2018.

1. samneedsaboat

samneedsaboat Member

Hi all,
    I was exploring the engine with my neighbor (former Coast Guard diesel chief) and he pointed out the zinc locations on the oil cooler and several other spots. I loosened one of the cap screws and the anode unscrewed from it an remains in the hole...common? solution? I tried to lightly coerce it from its perch with a needlenose without damaging the cast threads without success. Looking for some advice before the surgical tools come out.

2. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Break out the surgical tools by that I mean a longer needlenose pliers or surgical tweezers. I had the same problem and with a little patients they all came out.

3. djmarchand

djmarchand Captain

Retired engineer
    Boat Make:
    Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
    Or just pull off the end cap and pull out the zinc remnants. A shop vac will sometimes suck it out if you can open an alternate air path. But that is probably as difficult as removing the cap.

When you replace the zinc, tighten it with pliers so it will not unscrew. I even put a dab of nail polish around the circumference of the zinc near the end cap so it will not corrode there. Also replace the zincs before they get too bad, about 1/3 gone is about right.

David

4. samneedsaboat

samneedsaboat Member

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure there were no surprises. By the way, how often do you change them out? I've seen postings that some folks do it twice a year?

ThePartsGuy likes this.
  5. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    Interesting. I have a 4lhdte and there are no zincs in that motor. Is this the engine or the gear oil cooler that you are referring to?

6. samneedsaboat

samneedsaboat Member

Here are a couple pics. 2 on one end and one on the other

Attached Files:

7. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    Sam yours is a 4LH “A” DTE? That must be the difference. Yours was assembled in the US by Mack Boring I believe. Mine has no “A” and assembled in Japan.....the way I understand it.

Genius likes this.
  8. djmarchand

djmarchand Captain

Retired engineer
    Boat Make:
    Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
    The A model Yanmars were assembled in the US by Mac Boring with some US sourced parts. That is why you may have zinc fittings on an A and not a Japanese model. Yanmar has a rather strange view of the need for zincs. The JH engines have no zincs and from what you say the Japanese assembled LH engines don't either. I prefer zincs on all heat exchangers.

David

9. ThePartsGuy

ThePartsGuy Senior Member

PARTS PROFESSIONAL
    Home Page:
    We recommend pulling one or two zincs out in the middle of the season to determine zinc fall off rate. Most of our customers are on a spring time annual replacement schedule. It's not a bad service idea to pull the end covers off the coolers and look for zinc debris every couple of years. Impeller pieces or anything else like marine growth or seaweed could lead to water flow restriction. There are a few gaskets you will want to have before you take the end covers lose. Contact your local Yanmar dealer. They should have them on their shelf. If not drop me a PM. We stock them here.

Kailua Kid likes this.
  10. samneedsaboat

samneedsaboat Member

Thanks for the information, I dug through the paperwork last night and found the service records from last summer which was when the zincs were replaced. Also found the original paperwork from Mack boring at the time the boat was re-powered. New Question: got a name for the local Yanmar parts dealer? Southern RI

11. Genius

Genius Captain

Oldport in Newport

Kailua Kid likes this.
  12. cb38

cb38 Member

we change zinks every oil change about 3to4 times a year

cb38,
  13. fortier256

fortier256 Captain

Boat Make:
    Fortier 26
    I’m feelin a little left out here. I suppose I’ll have plenty to do when my engine dissolves.

Kailua Kid and Genius like this.
  14. Genius

Genius Captain

LOL. Strangely enough, I've never had a boat engine of my own that needed zincs. The first volvo KAD44 had nothing...but a very robust saltwater side. The 4LH-DTE that also has no zincs. The work boat has a 6BTA, but....it's keel cooled so no saltwater or zincs.

15. TCL

TCL Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
    If the cap comes off leaving the core you could either remove a hose and then push it in to the cooler to remove or a better way is to take a cap and grind off the threads then screw it back on to the core to then pull it out.

There always seems to be one zinc that disintegrates faster than the others I just replace them all at that time which for me is in the spring I run the engines on the hard to flush out the antifreeze then do the zincs.

TCL,
    Kailua Kid likes this.
  16. 05bill

05bill Captain

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    how about rydlyme ?

17. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    I don't know if you DYI'ers would benefit from this but I always put the year on the zinc plug. Maybe for some of you guys in the high annual hour bracket could put the full date? I also put a small touch of Teflon on the zinc plug...and wait for that debate.

Kailua Kid likes this.
  18. Ben Zehnder

Ben Zehnder Member

Attorney
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 25
    The Yanmar 4lha service manual is downloadable online and shows the zinc locations. I replace every Spring and it seems that where there are two zincs in the same system one sacrifices before the other. I chalk this up to a location closer to the charge.

Kailua Kid likes this.
  19. TCL

TCL Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
    Ben,
    I have the same issue with my 6LY's. 2 zinc's 3" apart in the same heat exchanger, 1 disintegrates faster than the other...I was told that the difference is the way the water flows through the system.

Also, I agree withe Jerry only I use plumbers putty on my zinc threads...I hate to over tighten them. I also use a very small round wire brush to clean the treads before inserting the new zinc.

TCL,
    Kailua Kid likes this.
  20. Ben Zehnder

Ben Zehnder Member

Attorney
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 25
    Not to hijack the thread, but if only my prop nut zinc would stay on for the season.