ZIP WAKE Service.

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by HUNTHARD, Sep 10, 2019.

1. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    So i put on a pair in April and have been very pleased with how they perform. So much that I don't even want to use the boat without them. Just recently a servo on the starboard side went down and won't drop the blade. I reached out to Imtra in mass and by the end of the day we were able to trouble shoot the issue. The very next day the servo was over night'ed to me Free of charge and they are covering the short haul. A+ service in my book.
    At the same time of reaching out to Imtra (wasn't sure how long it would take for a response) I also sent an email to Bill and Steve at Wesmac. Not being the original owner of a 2003 Wesmac it's comforting knowing I am still treated like a brand new million dollar plus customer. I was emailed back with contacts for NE reps within a few hours of my initial email. Then they emailed me and called me to make sure someone from zip wake got back to me. This kind of service in this industry is extremely rare. So far very happy with how both companies conduct business. For the record this is about the 6 or 7th situation where I have needed Wesmac's help and all Experiences have been the first class.

2. c1steve

c1steve Senior Member

IMTRA is great. I used to be a dealer for them, and it was a pleasure working with IMTRA.
    On the Zipwakes, please tell us about what they do for you.

3. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    Steve,
    I'll need your expert opinion on where and what width ZIPS I should put on the back of the 27 H&H ? :)
    What do you think?
    IMG_5734.jpeg

4. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Can I get IMTRA contacts please. Mine after a year are starting to act up, sporadically. The little red light in the middle of the control panel starts blinking, error code “not Communicating” or something like that. They were good for about 6bdays, then the other day issue came back. Thinking as simple as loose wire?

Ditto on Wesmac - any questions on my 2001 they are more than glad to assist.

5. c1steve

c1steve Senior Member

I had a mechanical-electrical boat shop in Sausalito, and dealt with IMTRA regularly. However this was before Zipwake was around. My general experience with Bennett trim tabs is that less is more. I would not put on wide trim tabs unless the boat was very slow.

6. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    Give Jamie at IMTRA a call 508-995-7000. Great guy will help you with what ever you need.

Fishonnelsons likes this.
  7. c1steve

c1steve Senior Member

Hunthard, can you elaborate on how the Zipwakes perform? Roll reduction, flatter running, fuel economy, etc.

BillD likes this.
  8. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    Boat is a different boat when we use em. boat always ran bow proud and viz from inside was limited to anything closer than 75ft at water level you really couldn't see it. Now you can see right in front of the boat water level. Depending on load we picked up 1,5 to 2 knots. we also lowered our load by 5%. really don't see much of a fuel savings but we are getting their faster so there has to be some savings. I gotta think it brought the bow down 16 to 18 inches. I use the auto roll but not sure how much i notice it when running, boats big and heavy we are only doing 18 knots. Maybe if the boat was liter and you were going faster you might notice it. I am extremely happy with how the boat runs now. I would suggest getting the biggest one's you can fit or afford.

c1steve likes this.
  9. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    I'm running the zipwake tabs on my 28 northern Bay, I notice the auto level working but if you are getting broadsided by waves the tabs don't respond fast enough and just causes the boat to rock more.

42478.jpeg

10. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    silverfish,
    what is the width of your tabs ?
    and other than "auto"....how is the manual trim adjustment from side to side ?...bow down?

11. Silverfish

Silverfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Northern Bay
    I have the 600mm tabs, the manual function works awesome, they level the boat and bring the bow down alot. My tabs never go past 25% down. There is a huge difference with and with out the tabs. The only thing I wish I did was install them sooner.

Steve

BillD likes this.
  12. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    I’ve had Zipwake tabs for 3 seasons now and agree they are very effective fore/aft and side-to-side. Also like Silverfish, I’ve found the auto roll setting requires tuning the sensitivity to beam seas, and if they get larger than 4ft I turn the auto off. The blades are quick (1.5 secs for full extension if I recall correctly) but an undesirable feedback loop between the swells and tabs can develop which keeps the boat rolling.

13. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    Interesting and thank you for the objective observation.
    I plan to add a pr. onto the 27 H&H.
    Only concern is the transom door.
    I figure the units are ruggedly built but any "divers" will need to be careful exiting and entering the boat thru the door with dive tanks etc. May onlt be 2-3 times a season but still a concern.
    The trim tab will be mounted right under the door.
    Thanks !

14. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Sandwich an inverted section of aluminum or composite 2x3 angle between the tabs and the hull as a guard against possible impact damage.

15. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    decent idea